Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unexpected things happening with batch scripts

Mar
Unexpected things happening with batch scripts (from a CMD perspective)

I have finally moved to TCC/LE as my default shell. When I run batch scripts I get some different behaviour from CMD. I would like to stop them from happening.

First of all, del stdout is echoed, when it would not be in CMD. Can I stop this from happening? I know that about the /q switch and 2>nul, but I would rather use a global options that makes it act as CMD in this regard, so that I do not need to edit all my scripts just because of this.

On every scripts which I have used SetLocal, I get an error at the EndLocal line saying that there was no SetLocal, when there was. I have tried different capitalisation combinations, but it does not seem to realise that I have SetLocal. What is going on?

When running scripts I get erratic behaviour where the console clears, as though there has been a cls command. There does not seem to be a pattern to this happening. Why does this happen and can it be stopped?

Thanks.

When I have had screen clearing problems it has been from running a 16 bit app.

Sent from Cookie's iPhone
Jim Cook

On Apr 28, 2011, at 19:59, jason404 <> wrote:

> When I run batch scripts I get some different behaviour from CMD. I would like to stop them from happening.
>
> First of all, del operations are echoed, when they would not be in CMD. As I have @echo off before the del operations, I would not expect this to happen. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?
>
> On every scripts which I have used SetLocal, I get an error at the EndLocal line saying that there was no SetLocal, when there was. I have tried different capitalisation combinations, but it does not seem to realise that I have SetLocal.
>
> When running scripts I get erratic behaviour where the console clears, as though there has been a cls command. There does not seem to be a pattern to this happening. Can it be stopped?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
>

Re: Unexpected things happening with batch scripts (from a CMD perspective)

On every scripts which I have used SetLocal, I get an error at the EndLocal line saying that there was no SetLocal, when there was.

C:\Junk>type foo.btm
SetLocal
EndLocal

C:\Junk>foo.btm

C:\Junk>

Suggest you post your btm.

I have finally moved to TCC/LE as my default shell. When I run batch scripts I get some different behaviour from CMD. I would like to stop them from happening.

First of all, del stdout is echoed, when it would not be in CMD. Can I stop this from happening? I know that about the /q switch and 2>nul, but I would rather use a global options that makes it act as CMD in this regard, so that I do not need to edit all my scripts just because of this.

This is a feature. If you don't want it, alias it out:

alias del=*del /q

On every scripts which I have used SetLocal, I get an error at the EndLocal line saying that there was no SetLocal, when there was. I have tried different capitalisation combinations, but it does not seem to realise that I have SetLocal. What is going on?

Impossible to say without seeing one of your scripts. (Capitalization is irrelevant.)

When running scripts I get erratic behaviour where the console clears, as though there has been a cls command. There does not seem to be a pattern to this happening. Why does this happen and can it be stopped?

The only time I've ever heard of something like this is if you have a CLS in your TCSTART and you're piping to a child process (which will run TCSTART again). TCC/LE will never clear the screen on its own.

Thanks for the answers. I'll get back with an example of the SetLocal problem once I come across it again.

But at the moment, I am wondering why this script works in the CMD, but not in TCC/LE:

-------------------------------------------------
@echo off
SetLocal

:WMIC_TEST
WMIC /? >nul 2>&1
if %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 9009 (
goto :HOME
) ELSE (
goto :WMIC_START
)

:WMIC_START
for /f "usebackq tokens=1,* delims==" %%A in (`wmic os get Caption /format:list ^| findstr "^Caption="`) do (
set %%A=%%B
)
echo. & echo.%Caption%
goto :EOF

:HOME
echo This is a Home version of Windows & echo.
goto :EOF

:EOF
EndLocal
-------------------------------------------------

For some reason %Caption% is not being echoed or set.

Back