updater.exe fails with error message

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 27, 2011
2
0
#1
Since around TCC/LE version 12.11, the updater is broken and displays a message that translates as "Specified path cannot be found" ("Le chemin d'accès spécifié est introuvable", since my system is in french). The problem still exits in TCC/LE 13.0.26.

Looking in the updater.ini file, i've found an suspicious "/" character in the value of the DownloadsFolder field:
DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC/LE 12.11\updates\
and
DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC/LE 13.0\updates\

I've noticed that previous versions used a path like "C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC LE 12.0\updates" so i tryied removing the "/":
DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC LE 13.0\updates\

This corrects the problem! (untill the next update will restore the faulty value in updater.ini as i tried 12.11.74 -> 12.11.76)

I hope this will help someone else
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,099
85
#2
Looking in the updater.ini file, i've found an suspicious "/" character in the value of the DownloadsFolder field:
DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC/LE 12.11\updates\
and
DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC/LE 13.0\updates\
I don't know how you got that value in your updater.ini, but it's not in either the 12.11 TCC/LE or 13.0 TCC/LE updater.ini. Did you install into an old (maybe beta?) directory?

Try removing that file, download the latest build, and reinstalling.
 
Sep 14, 2011
11
0
Germany
#3
Since around TCC/LE version 12.11, the updater is broken and displays a message that translates as "Specified path cannot be found" ("Le chemin d'accès spécifié est introuvable", since my system is in french). The problem still exits in TCC/LE 13.0.26.
Ah, someone with the same problem I have/had, although on a German locale Windows 7.
Looking in the updater.ini file, i've found an suspicious "/" character in the value of the DownloadsFolder field:
[...] DownloadsFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\USERACCOUNT\Application Data\JP Software\TCC/LE 13.0\updates\
Good find, I never thought to check that file (in fact, I didn't know it existed). After using Process Monitor to track down the problem, my solution was to simply create the additional folder that the updater expects, i.e., "%APPDATA%\JP Software\TCC\LE 13.0\updates\". Now I have a folder "TCC" with a subfolder "LE 13.0", but it works. And, since this path does not change with the next update, it is a more permanent solution. ;)

@rconn, when I stumbled upon this thread, I deleted the file and reinstalled TCC/LE 13.01.32; the installer recreated updater.ini with the same entries as efl74 mentions. I am using TCC/LE x64 on a German locale Windows 7 Professional SP1 (also x64, obviously). I had also never installed a beta version or anything before 13 before that, so it's not a remnant of a previous installation.

HTH,
lcg