Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Upgrade to build 28

May
Again it did not offer the previous install directory as an option.
After guiding it to g:\tc14, it said "Total bytes required on disk: 0KB"
Installation was apparently successful.
"Repair" doesn't work (as described earlier).
\aemail\datamystic.log is still being written.

With regard to "Repair" not working, it seems to be the Caphyon registry entries which contain bogus info:
Code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\LZMA\{CE284013-3B95-4C6C-A967-DBEE9D1A3
D56}\14.00.28

Value: AI_ExePath
->      Data:  C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command 14.0\updates\Update\tcmd.exe

The MS installer entries seems OK:
Code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\310482EC59B3C6C49A76BDEED9A1D365\InstallProperties

Value: InstallSource
->      Data:  C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command 14.0 14.00.28\install\D1A3D56\

Value: ModifyPath
->      Data:  MsiExec.exe /X{CE284013-3B95-4C6C-A967-DBEE9D1A3D56}

Value: UninstallString

-> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE284013-3B95-4C6C-A967-DBEE9D1A3D56}

Value: InstallSource
->      Data:  C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command 14.0 1
4.00.28\install\D1A3D56\

Value: ModifyPath

Value: UninstallString

Again it did not offer the previous install directory as an option.
After guiding it to g:\tc14, it said "Total bytes required on disk: 0KB"
Installation was apparently successful.
"Repair" doesn't work (as described earlier).
\aemail\datamystic.log is still being written.

Since none of those were mentioned in the release notes, there shouldn't be any expectation that build 28 would behave any differently.

As I've mentioned (repeatedly) before, the only way to do (most of) the things you want in the installer is to do what 99.99% of the other apps out there do, and force an uninstall of any older builds before installing the new build.

I personally don't care either way, but I know that Steve F. will go ballistic if I change it and Vince will continue bombarding me with complaints if I don't change it. How about the two of you work it out in a steel cage deathmatch.

As I've mentioned (repeatedly) before, the only way to do (most of) the things you want in the installer is to do what 99.99% of the other apps out there do, and force an uninstall of any older builds before installing the new build.

I personally don't care either way, but I know that Steve F. will go ballistic if I change it and Vince will continue bombarding me with complaints if I don't change it. How about the two of you work it out in a steel cage deathmatch.
How would you change it. And what is Steve insistent about? Now that you've said it **WILL NOT TOUCH MY v13** I don't care how you change it (I previously believed "remove old versions" meant remove v13). I couldn't care less about previous minor versions of the current major version. I am resigned to living with those obsolete install source trees (though it looks bad); I can delete them. But I would like it to (again) make the current install directory selectable ... and it would be nice if "Repair" worked.

Can you do anything about the fact that (apparently) uninstalling v14 causes v13 to trigger UAC (probably to re-register IsLicense50.dll, or something like that)? If that's the reason, uninstalling v13 might do the same to v14.

There are a lot of people (like Steve and Klaus) who want to keep minor versions. At least, a lot of people complained incessantly until I enabled that in the installer several years ago! I'm happy to take it out, if I can forward the hate mail on to you ...

Nothing I can do about uninstalling one version triggering the UAC -- Windows requires COM dll's to be registered, and I cannot uninstall without unregistering the dll (the same one in both versions in this instance). (Well, I *could* pretend to uninstall, but not actually do anything other than removing TCMD from the installed programs list. But that probably wouldn't make you any happier.)

I just upgraded (via the Help | Update option) and removed old versions. My current install directory was listed in the drop down without issue. I'd be happy to dig around and look something up if you'd like to compare reg keys or what not.

Michael

Would this apply also to installing the new build into a clean, new directory?

I don't care whether installing a new build is done by replacing files one at a time, or by deleting all old ones before installing the new ones. However, occasionally (regularly during early builds of a new version) one may wish to have more than one build of a version concurrently installed in separate directories. In such an event one would obviously like to have separate sets of registry entries, matching the concurrently installed builds.

My other desire is to retain the ability to download the installer only once for all my registered, networked computers. This is obviously not possible if each system uses option/u individually. Of course, two different installers will still have to be download if both 32b and 64b systems are used.

??? You're the one who's been demanding for ... well, forever, that the Repair option be removed so you wouldn't have anything left in your \users directory. Did you change your mind?
Having the install source for the minor version actually installed is fine. I have been complaining about the older, useless install sources.
I have never suggested that "Repair" be removed.

If adding squeaks to the wheel makes any difference, I am in Vince's camp. I don't like useless MSI files left laying around. And I never keep older minor revs. And I am very limited in the major revs I keep (although at this point I should just get rid of all of them too as I never use them).

I prefer an update to replace the existing version in the existing install directory. (It is my understanding that the two install choices currently available do the same thing when the destination folder is the same folder as the earlier version.)

-Scott

I don't like useless MSI files left laying around.

For interests sake, I did a search on my XP SP3 system, for *.MSI

I found five tcmd.msi files.
I found eight PlayStationStoreSetup.msi files.
I found ten AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi files.
I found eleven AppleApplicationSupport.msi files.

The list goes on.

It would be interesting to see if others also have a large number of .msi files on their systems.

Gonna do some deleting now.

Joe

Whoo-hoo -- no directory drop-down for build 29! It installed to my chosen location with no input from me.

Okay, so it's a trivial thing. But you release updates often, so even a trivial nuisance can start to chafe. Thanks for the change!

Whoo-hoo -- no directory drop-down for build 29! It installed to my chosen location with no input from me.

Okay, so it's a trivial thing. But you release updates often, so even a trivial nuisance can start to chafe. Thanks for the change!
Yes, a nice touch!

Very nicely done! Was changing the default from keeping old versions to deleting them required to achieve this?

Two more minor points.
1/ Would it be possible to change the wording from "versions" to "builds" - reflecting that new builds of a version can be installed without deleting other versions?
2/ Is it possible to make the installer obey the request not to put a new TCMD shortcut into "...\All Users\Start Menu" ?

W00H00!! Totally FREEKING AWESOME!!!