Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Use TCC.EXE on Windows 2008 Server Core?

Aug
I searched the forums, but didn't see that anyone has gotten TCCx64 to work on 2008 R2 Core--or even had a problem trying. I'm just messing with 13.04 trial, and trying to run tcc.exe results in the error "The program can't start because DSOUND.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Even if TCC can't be used to replace CMD as the primary shell on a Core install, it would still be mighty nice to have it as an option...

Note: when I tried the x86 (32-bit) version, it was fine. I guess I'm so used to x64 that I didn't even think about that option...

I'm not having any issue with 2008R2 in "full" install; it's specific to the Core version, which cannot have DirectX installed.

My environment is almost 100% virtual (I <3 VMware), so I use Server Core whenever possible, not just because of the security surface area, but because the resource requirements are considerably lower. I've gotten used to doing things from a remote admin station, but there are times when it would just be nicer to have TCC right there on the host...

...And just like that, TCCx64 works.

No other dependencies on the part of DSOUND.DLL, but then I'm not invoking anything that would require it.

I like easy solutions... Thanks for the suggestion, Rex.

With Windows Server 8 making the default installation Core mode and the new in-between mode, might it make sense to handle this more gracefully in future versions?