Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Using a 32-bit In-Process COM Server DLL from 64-bit TCC

Aug
I have found a method to use the 32-bit In-Process COM Server DLLs that I have created using Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual FoxPro 9.0 from 64-bit TCC via PSHELL.

Using the Microsoft OLE/COM Object Viewer, I expand the All Objects tree, and locate the target 32-bit In-Process COM Server DLL, in my example, jlcutils.clsMath

From the Implementation tab, I check the Use Surrogate Process;

From the Registry tab, I ensure that the AppID has a DllSurrogate entry;

Now, from 64-bit TCC, I can do;
Code:
pshell /s "$p = new-object -com jlcutils.clsMath"
to initialize my 32-bit COM Server, and
Code:
c:\users\jlc\utils>pshell /s "$p.ppp(8.80)"
to access a function.

The @REG functions can be used to do what I have done via the OLE/COM Object Viewer, but I have not explored that option yet.

If I did not make these changes, when attempting to initialize my 32-bit COM Server, I would get;
Code:
c:\users\jlc\utils>pshell /s "$p = new-object -com jlcutils.clsMath"
PSHELL: System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {80
5CA396-EB98-47E1-BFE4-994F6A7F21B0} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT:
0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

This method does not work for 32-bit Out-Of-Process COM Server EXEs, but I am hoping that this can be made possible in the next version of TCC.

I am posting this here mainly for my future reference, but it may be useful to others as well.

Joe

Back