Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v.exe and everything.exe

Nov
I'm trying to get around tcc installing these.

I have a registered version of 'v', which has the start menu etc, and of everything, i'm trying to run all copies through a download.

At the moment, tcc takes redirected calls to both v.exe and everything.

Is there some sort of fix or ini-trick to tell tcmd to use a different version of v and everything?

thanks. w

You can at least do this with an alias. I believe you can also disable internal commands — but I don't TCMD at hand now, I can't check how to do it.

Not tested (don't have a seperate "V" or "everything"), but does this work for you?

• Rename , move or delete everything.exe and v.exe from the TCMD program folder (*)
  • setdos /i-everything
  • setdos /i-view

(*) depending on your version of Take Command there is or is not a check for everything.dll at startup. 20.00.25 does check; 20.11.39 does not)

At the moment, everything is working from a loader made from write.exe, which uses apppaths v is also working, i replaced the v in the tcc directory with the write.exe-version, which goes through apppath to the off-path v directory.

The version of tcc is 20.11.40 on Windows 6.10.7601 (sp1 32b). v is 15.sr3 and everything is Version 1.4.1.809b (x86) from tcc

The process is that i'm trying to avoid dll-hell, by first using loaders for these programs (tcc and tc each have one too). Because there are lots of places to configure, i usually just change the apppath, and rely on write.exe to pass the params correctly.

There is another option you might consider:

In Windows you can force a DLL to be searched first in the directory of the executable.
Example: You have a "V.exe" in "c:\program files\V". Create a dummy file "V.exe.Local" (contents don't matter, might be 0 bytes) in the same folder.
Now V.exe will load V.dll locally from the V-folder, regardless if the current working directory (c:\Program Files\Take Command for example) also has a V.dll.

It has been a few years since I used this for the last time, but it does work on at least Windows 7 (first time I used it was Windows NT4, IIRC).

Another thing I noticed: didn't work for all DLL's ( I guessed that was Windows, trying to keep itself "healthy" / uncorrupted ), but it might be worth the try...

Using a patched version of "Write.exe" works for both v.exe and everything.exe. It even adds some interesting features.

With the registered copy of 'v', you get a file dialog. Starting v . will open the current directory in one of the panels. You can then use it as a thumbnail scroller when explorer gets slow.

Using everything this way overcomes the problem when TCC install mungs the INI-file. In essence, it is up to the void-tools version to run the proggie.