V10 questions

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
#1
1/ Installing build 38 created neither EditConfig nor Styles directories. Is
this correct? This after "removing" previous builds, and installing "from
scratch".

2/ Is there any chance of increasing the sizes of the command and directory
history tables? They are very puny in comparison to the alias and function
tables.

3/ A request possibly for future versions: a hotkey (or command) that causes
the history entries to be sorted, OR an "option" to keep the tables sorted.
This would be independently for the command history and for the directory
history.
--
Steve
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,289
90
#2
Steve Fábián wrote:

> 1/ Installing build 38 created neither EditConfig nor Styles directories. Is
> this correct? This after "removing" previous builds, and installing "from
> scratch".
There is no Styles directory in v10.

There is an EditConfig, which is created by the installer. (Just double
checked here, uninstalling & reinstalling and the directory definitely
exists.)


> 2/ Is there any chance of increasing the sizes of the command and directory
> history tables? They are very puny in comparison to the alias and function
> tables.
There's a very good chance, if you go to OPTION / Command Line / History
Buffer Sizes.


> 3/ A request possibly for future versions: a hotkey (or command) that causes
> the history entries to be sorted, OR an "option" to keep the tables sorted.
> This would be independently for the command history and for the directory
> history.
I'll put it on the list, though I can't think of a use for it. Why
would you want it?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#5
rconn wrote:
| Steve Fábián wrote:
| ---Quote---
|| 1/ Installing build 38 created neither EditConfig nor Styles
|| directories. Is this correct? This after "removing" previous builds,
|| and installing "from scratch".
| ---End Quote---
| There is no Styles directory in v10.
|
| There is an EditConfig, which is created by the installer. (Just
| double checked here, uninstalling & reinstalling and the directory
| definitely exists.)

What do I need to do to recreate it? Installing TCMD into an explicitly
specified, existing directory (C:\JPSOFT\I10, empty except a PLUGINS
junction to the master plugin directory) did not create it.

| ---Quote---
|| 2/ Is there any chance of increasing the sizes of the command and
|| directory history tables? They are very puny in comparison to the
|| alias and function tables.
| ---End Quote---
| There's a very good chance, if you go to OPTION / Command Line /
| History Buffer Sizes.

Ah! The limits are not included in topic "limitations.htm". I did not look
for it in the topic describing the configuration dialogs, where they are
mentioned. RTFM. The limit of the directory history size is still a bit low,
I think, though I have not yet tried to increase it to the limit.

| ---Quote---
|| 3/ A request possibly for future versions: a hotkey (or command)
|| that causes the history entries to be sorted, OR an "option" to keep
|| the tables sorted. This would be independently for the command
|| history and for the directory history.
| ---End Quote---
| I'll put it on the list, though I can't think of a use for it. Why
| would you want it?

When I pop up the directory history list, the unsorted list is not very
useful to navigate quickly to a directory with a long path, with the actual
directory name common, which has not been recently accessed. Takes a lot of
searching to find the one I want.

With command history, esp. when the FOR command is involved, one of the
problems of finding the one I want from the pop-up window is that I don't
remember what name I used for the loop control variable. The bigger issue is
that I often use command groups to redirect FOR's output. The presence of
"(" or esp."( " before the FOR makes it difficult to find, so what I think
I'd really find useful is if the command history pop-up matching logic would
ignore all superfluous spaces, consider space and tab the same, and also
ignore leading "(". This would be a slight move toward regular expressions,
but very limited in scope.
--
Steve
 
#6
rconn wrote:
| vefatica wrote:
|| rconn) wrote:
||| There's a very good chance, if you go to OPTION / Command Line /
||| History Buffer Sizes.
|| Can the global history buffer be set to more than 131078?
| It cannot be set at all; it's fixed at 128K.
Does this mean that V10 ignores the History= directive when SHRALIAS is not
yet running and global history is specified?
--
Steve
 
#7
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:03:53 -0600, Steve Fábián <> wrote:


>Ah! The limits are not included in topic "limitations.htm". I did not look
>for it in the topic describing the configuration dialogs, where they are
>mentioned. RTFM. The limit of the directory history size is still a bit low,
>I think, though I have not yet tried to increase it to the limit.
I just checked my old computer where I had indiscriminately saved directory
entries for six years (auto-loaded at logon). The save-file was at its max of
16BK. But frankly, I never noticed it. And there are places in there I'd
probably never visit again. Now the limit is 32KB (I think) which seems plenty.

Rex, what are the fixed sizes of the four shared (global) lists? I seem to
recall they were user-definable, with SHRALIAS reading the size from the first
four bytes of the memory-mapped file.

I don't know if what MEMORY reports reflects the global lists. If it does, then
it seems a bit odd that more space is delegated to aliases (262144) than to
command history (133120). I wonder if anyone has more than 32K of aliases.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,289
90
#8
Steve Fábián wrote:

> rconn wrote:
> | Steve Fábián wrote:
> | ---Quote---
> || 1/ Installing build 38 created neither EditConfig nor Styles
> || directories. Is this correct? This after "removing" previous builds,
> || and installing "from scratch".
> | ---End Quote---
> | There is no Styles directory in v10.
> |
> | There is an EditConfig, which is created by the installer. (Just
> | double checked here, uninstalling & reinstalling and the directory
> | definitely exists.)
>
> What do I need to do to recreate it? Installing TCMD into an explicitly
> specified, existing directory (C:\JPSOFT\I10, empty except a PLUGINS
> junction to the master plugin directory) did not create it.
Not reproducible here -- and assuming that you're actually using the
TCMD installer (for the first time?) this would have to be a Windows bug.

Anybody else having a problem with the creation of the EditConfig directory?


> | ---Quote---
> || 3/ A request possibly for future versions: a hotkey (or command)
> || that causes the history entries to be sorted, OR an "option" to keep
> || the tables sorted. This would be independently for the command
> || history and for the directory history.
> | ---End Quote---
> | I'll put it on the list, though I can't think of a use for it. Why
> | would you want it?
>
> When I pop up the directory history list, the unsorted list is not very
> useful to navigate quickly to a directory with a long path, with the actual
> directory name common, which has not been recently accessed. Takes a lot of
> searching to find the one I want.
That would be a substantial rewrite -- currently the history list
displayed is the actual history list. So sorting the displayed list
means you'd have sorted the history list itself (which is what I
couldn't imagine anybody wanting to do -- but if you do, there's always
SORT.EXE).

Why can't you just type a couple of keys to match the line you're
looking for?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,289
90
#9
vefatica wrote:


> I don't know if what MEMORY reports reflects the global lists. If it does, then
> it seems a bit odd that more space is delegated to aliases (262144) than to
> command history (133120). I wonder if anyone has more than 32K of aliases.
I had several dozen requests over the past couple of years from people
who wanted more than 128K worth of aliases.

So yes, people do!

Rex Conn
JP Software