Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v16 - Shortcuts not working

Nov
I am trying to use a number of shortcuts described in the documentation on a vanilla install of TC 16 and running into problems.

I have added TrayHotKey=Z to my [TakeCommand] section of my TCMD.ini but pressing the key sequence inserts an <= character into my console and does not minimize to the systems tray.

In addition. Ctrl-T produces the newline character commonly shown in Word when showing hidden characters (odd backwards P character)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have added TrayHotKey=Z to my [TakeCommand] section of my TCMD.ini but pressing the key sequence inserts an <= character into my console and does not minimize to the systems tray.

Which key sequence? Ctrl-Shift-Z ?

In addition. Ctrl-T produces the newline character commonly shown in Word when showing hidden characters (odd backwards P character)

Under Options / Take Command / Tabs, are either of "Left Ctrl Key" or "Right Ctrl Key" checked?

I was thinking in terms of keystroke aliases -- one way to start a new tab, but not the only way, nor the best.

A much smarter way is through the Customize dialog.
Ctrl-T-new-tab.png

The Customize dialog is hard to find. Look for the little down-arrow dinkum on Take Command's title bar, just right of the Save, Print, and Find icons. Click on that and select "More Commands...." Choose the Keyboard tab. Under "Category" choose "File", then highlight "New Tab" under Commands. Click in the field labelled "Press new shortcut key", then press Control-T. Click on Assign, then Close.

(Is there another way to get to the Customize dialog? I seem to remember that a right click somewhere would bring it up, but either that feature is gone or my brain is.)

I was thinking in terms of keystroke aliases -- one way to start a new tab, but not the only way, nor the best.

(Is there another way to get to the Customize dialog? I seem to remember that a right click somewhere would bring it up, but either that feature is gone or my brain is.)

Try right clicking anywhere, on the TCMD title bar, between the control menu button on the far left and the "down-arrow" to the right of the "Take Command Quick Options toolbar". You can also right click on the TCMD menu bar.

Both of the above methods produce a drop down from which you can select "Customize Quick Access Toolbar..." displaying the Customize dialog.

The customize dialog and your suggestions in the tab window were exactly what I was looking for for Ctrl-T and the Alt and left arrow bits. Thank you that was somewhat confusing to me.

Ctrl - Shift - Z doesn't work reliably for me. If I click to some other window it often will no longer work to bring it back from minimized to the system tray and that kind of defeats the utility of it as I have to switch over the to the mouse, pop up my system tray (which is cluttered) and click on the TC icon. It would be great if I could find a way to make that work reliably or find a way to bind the return to normal state of the window globally in windows so I could make it work without fail.

Ctrl - Shift - Z doesn't work reliably for me. If I click to some other window it often will no longer work to bring it back from minimized to the system tray and that kind of defeats the utility of it as I have to switch over the to the mouse, pop up my system tray (which is cluttered) and click on the TC icon. It would be great if I could find a way to make that work reliably or find a way to bind the return to normal state of the window globally in windows so I could make it work without fail.

I cannot reproduce that here, and AFAIK nobody else has reported a problem with that hotkey.

That would either be a Windows bug or a conflict with another app also trying to register that hotkey. When TC is minimized to the tray, it never sees any keys -- it's the responsibility of Windows to check to see if that key combination has been registered as a global hotkey, and to then send the appropriate message to the TC window.