Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done VBEEP instead of sound

May
My laptop sucks when it comes to brief sounds. If it has been 10 seconds since it produced the last sound, there's a ~2-second delay before I hear the beep from pressing a bad key in TCC. Could there be an option to to a VBEEP (default, no sound, without disturbing any command line in progress) instead? That could also be good in places like libraries.

You can do this today, with Sound Sentry:

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Use text or visual alternatives for sounds
Turn on the tick box at the top, and select either "Flash active window" or "Flash desktop". (The caption bar option doesn't seem to work with Take Command, at least not on my system.)

You can do this today, with Sound Sentry:

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Use text or visual alternatives for sounds
Turn on the tick box at the top, and select either "Flash active window" or "Flash desktop". (The caption bar option doesn't seem to work with Take Command, at least not on my system.)
I thought TCC was responsible for the beep when I pressed a bad key.

I thought TCC was responsible for the beep when I pressed a bad key.
Sure. But TCC calls Windows functions to do it. And Windows has hooks for accessibility. (The same approach also works with CMD.EXE.)

Sure. But TCC calls Windows functions to do it. And Windows has hooks for accessibility. (The same approach also works with CMD.EXE.)
It works for the system sounds (and also plays the sounds). It does not work for TCC's simple bad-key honk() (or with BEEP FREQ DURATION).

It does not work for TCC's simple bad-key honk() (or with BEEP FREQ DURATION).
That's weird; it works for me. Is it possible that your system is still using the 8253 timer #2 to make sounds? (Like during the Reagan years....)

That's weird; it works for me. Is it possible that your system is still using the 8253 timer #2 to make sounds? (Like during the Reagan years....)
I don't know. It's a brand new HP laptop with Win10 x86.

Back