Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VIEW broken in v18 + Windows 10

May
Just tested VIEW and I cannot get it to show up whatsoever in v18 and Windows 10.

It still works in v15 + Windows 10.

First I thought it was just commands like "dir | view" that did not work, but "view file.txt" does not do anything either.

Maybe it's not supported in unregistered versions? Seems very strange that it would fail totally.

Just tested VIEW and I cannot get it to show up whatsoever in v18 and Windows 10.

It still works in v15 + Windows 10.

First I thought it was just commands like "dir | view" that did not work, but "view file.txt" does not do anything either.

Not reproducible here (and I use it dozens of times a day).

Do you have any aliases for VIEW? Are you using the English version?

It's there. I have only the Windows 10 default Anti-Malware and it gave no notifications about having blocked anything.

I include a Process Monitor trace file for TCC and V taken while I executed view "as-ssd-bench OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5 ATA Device 19.11.2010 20-41-57.xml" in the Documents directory.

Attachments

• Logfile.zip
    189.9 KB · Views: 326
A lot of these:

Code:
Windows Version 6.2 (Build 9200), Platform = 2
Version 14.50.6 TC  (x64)
Command Line: v  /tcmd:18

08-08-15 13:02:16 (2061921): Take Command not licensed - no user name found: version=18, m_nStage=109, stage=1

So it does not work with unregistered versions then apparently.

So it does not work with unregistered versions then apparently.

It definitely does work with unregistered versions. Where it won't work is if:

1) You don't install TCMD using the installer (i.e., copying the files from another installation)
or
2) The installer doesn't have write access to the registry or "c:\programdata\JP Software", which is necessary to configure VIEW.

Is either of these the case on your system?

1. I used the downloaded installer and ran the update from the menu once as well. So, standard installations only.

2. I was prompted to run the installer as an admin user via UAC, so it should have had write access. I norrmally run as a limited user and only run as admin to do installations.

I took a look in C:\ProgramData\JP Software. It has a file named "TakeCommand.18.0.key" which contains:

[Take Command v18.0 Registration]
Name=
Key=E2H81-Q1200-G1EHZ-G874X-2N8EEFM4E

Which would perhaps explain the "no name found" from the V log file.

This is as said before an unregistered version, so I'm not sure what this file should contain at this point.
I do have registered versions of TCMD12 and TCMD15 on the same computer.