view command not working

Aug 16, 2008
I just noticed that the view command is not working on my machine. To be precise, "view /h" and "view /w(indow)" do work but "view FILE" doesn't. No error, nothing. Same thing happens when I doubleclick the v executable. This happens with the latest TC 14 as well as 15 beta. V from the Prineas web site does work.

What can I do to debug this?
64-bit Take Command on Windows 8 64-bit

To be precise, "view /h" and "view /w(indow)" do work
I assume you mean "view /h FILE" and "view /w FILE"?

but "view FILE" doesn't
I can think of no reason why "view /h FILE" will work and "view FILE" will not work. Are you sure this is the case?

Are you perhaps using "v FILE" instead of "view FILE"?

Same thing happens when I doubleclick the v executable.
This is expected. You cannot run v.exe as a standalone app. It needs to be run by Take Command - either by using "VIEW" or by clicking the "V" button on the Explorer toolbar.

Aug 16, 2008
I assume you mean "view /h FILE" and "view /w FILE"?

I can think of no reason why "view /h FILE" will work and "view FILE" will not work. Are you sure this is the case?

Are you perhaps using "v FILE" instead of "view FILE"?
"view /h" just shows the help. "view /w" opens an explorer window to pick a file.

"view FILE" works in TC 14 but faiils without any hint on TC 15. I copied the v binaries from the old TC14 installation to the TC15 directory without any success. But the TC15 V binaries work with the TC14 installation. I begin to think that this is just another annoying licensing issue because I installed TC15 into the "old" TC14 directory.

On a VM I installed TC15 to C:... and there VIEW works. I copied the files to my D: drive and I get the message that the evaluation period has expired(!!!) - I installed the beta just yesterday for the first time; 30 days ago it wasn't even released.

Still I'd like to troubleshoot the issue...!

I copied the files to my D: drive and I get the message that the evaluation period has expired
VIEW will not run without a valid TC15 license. Can you run Take Command? What does the TC About box display?

Still I'd like to troubleshoot the issue
There should be a file called V.log in one of the following directories:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\V or C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\V

It will contain an error line if VIEW cannot obtain a valid license.

Aug 16, 2008
Ah, bingo, I ran a Process Monitor log and saw that V was logging to V.log. Let's see what we got here:

"Windows Version 6.1 (Build 7601), Platform = 2
Version 14.90.3 TC (Beta 3) (x64)
Command Line: v /tcmd:15 tcstart.btm

11-03-13 13:05:38 (531260718): Take Command CU not licensed: m_nStage=109, stage=2, User Name: Thorsten Kampe
11-03-13 13:05:38 (531260734): Take Command not licensed - no user name found: m_nStage=109, stage=2"

Niiiiiiiiice...!

I just wasted hours of my life troubleshooting another stupid license issue. I guess my decision to migrate from Tcmd to ConEmu on the weekend was justified. If I troubleshoot issues with ConEmu I'm troubleshooting /real/ issues, not issues that are artificially imposed onto the innocent user to combat "license issues".

Thorsten, who is really pissed off