Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vince Fatica, what happened to @XREPLACE ?

May
Vince, I downloaded your most recent version of 4UTILS, and found it does not have @XREPLACE. Would you put that back in, please?

Vince, I downloaded your most recent version of 4UTILS, and found it does not have @XREPLACE. Would you put that back in, please?
I might be able to, but I don't really want to. That would bring back the dependency of ONIG.DLL which I'd like to avoid. Can't you use @REREPLACE? As far as I know they have the same syntax and do the same thing.

Dave, what version of TCC do you use? I ask because ...

Up to v20, TCC came with an ONIG.DLL and @XREPLACE needed it. v21~v24 did not have an ONIG.DLL so I put versions of ONIG.DLL on the FTP site so @XREPLACE (and a few other plugins) would continue to work. v25 has an ONIG.DLL again bit it's not compatible with @XREPLACE and the ONIG.DLLs which are compatible with @XREPLACE are not compatible with TCC v25. I don't know if it's possible to get @XREPLACE working with TCC v25 (or later).

Vince, I'm using TCC 20.11.46 x64 Windows 10 [Version 6.3.18362]. Some day I may upgrade to a more recent version of TCC, but not yet.
I only had two .BAT files in which I was using @XREPLACE, and I've successfully recoded them to use @REREPLACE instead. Thanks for the explanation and thanks for the plugins you've been maintaining.

Vince, I'm using TCC 20.11.46 x64 Windows 10 [Version 6.3.18362]. Some day I may upgrade to a more recent version of TCC, but not yet.
I only had two .BAT files in which I was using @XREPLACE, and I've successfully recoded them to use @REREPLACE instead. Thanks for the explanation and thanks for the plugins you've been maintaining.
The previous FTP version of 4UTILS (30AUG2018) is in 4plugins\x64\oldstuff\4utils64.zip

If that's the one you had it should work again.

Thanks. I'm using @REREPLACE now, but I do have a copy of the 30Aug2018 version of 4UTILS just in case I have to revert.

Hi Vince,

once again I am unable to download your plugins. Probably you barred again any downloads from Europe/Germany. I doubt very much that many spammers use the premier provider (Telecom) of Germany, that's btw is active in the US too.

ah, forget it. I was able to download them using Opera's built in VPN.

So much for safety :-)
Good! I don't pay much attention to blocking IPs any more. It seems the best way to avoid those trying to break in is to listen only on port 21 (good-old unsecure FTP). For some reason, hackers don't bother with it much.

I've got good results with limiting authentication attempts to 1 per session for critical services and iptables xt_recent module limiting connection attempts to certain number per minute with timed ban. SSH, PPTP, some other services that usually maintain only one connection over long time work well with it.

The plain unsecured FTP should be eradicated, to be honest. It's cumbersome, unfit for modern internet and in case of password protection, totally insecure.

I've got good results with limiting authentication attempts to 1 per session for critical services and iptables xt_recent module limiting connection attempts to certain number per minute with timed ban. SSH, PPTP, some other services that usually maintain only one connection over long time work well with it.

The plain unsecured FTP should be eradicated, to be honest. It's cumbersome, unfit for modern internet and in case of password protection, totally insecure.
Quite right! But my only use for a server is to distribute plugins to anonymous. There's only one authenticated user and he never connects via FTP. Management is done by that user via https://localhost. My router does not forward https to my computer.

Back