Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vista questions

May
I managed to uninstall Vista and re-install it in a VirtualPC. And I installed TCMD10. For now, I have only a couple questions. I'm confident there will be more.

Apparently, the default place for INI files is C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\JPSoft. That's a mouthful, especially when specifying the locations of START/EXIT files, and log files. Is this the default location if no StartPath is specified? Is there a default name/location for log files?

And a Vista question ... I notice that my profile directory contains many shortcuts (according to Explorer) which are actually junctions; examples: ApplicationData, My Documents (where is My Documents, actually?). In Explorer, I can't follow any of them ("Access is denied"). Is there anything I can do to make these paths navigable, and specifiable wherever a path is required?

> And a Vista question ... I notice that my profile directory contains many shortcuts (according to Explorer) which are actually junctions; examples: ApplicationData, My Documents (where is My Documents, actually?). In Explorer, I can't follow any of them ("Access is denied"). Is there anything I can do to make these paths navigable, and specifiable wherever a path is required?

My Documents is a junction at \users\name\my documents to \users\name\documents.

As far as following the shortcuts, it can be done but I don't recommend it.
Standard Vista permissions puts a "deny everyone list folder/read data" rule on
these folders. This appears to be a way to prevent the creation of duplicate
file trees by copy/backup programs since Vista does not support a "copy links as
links" function - links will get copied from both the source and link trees
without this rule. I tried modifying that default rule and it caused many
problems when I followed the directory tree. You can access any of these
junction/symlink files directly by name but not by walking the tree.

Dennis

vefatica wrote:

> I managed to uninstall Vista and re-install it in a VirtualPC. And I installed TCMD10. For now, I have only a couple questions. I'm confident there will be more.
>
> Apparently, the default place for INI files is C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\JPSoft. That's a mouthful, especially when specifying the locations of START/EXIT files, and log files. Is this the default location if no StartPath is specified? Is there a default name/location for log files?

It's the default location in Vista & later for .INI, TCSTART / TCEXIT,
and log files. (This is mandated by Microsoft.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

vefatica wrote:

It's the default location in Vista & later for .INI, TCSTART / TCEXIT,
and log files. (This is mandated by Microsoft.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

Does it have to be %LOCALAPPDATA%\JPSoft (C:\Users\«username»\AppData\Local\JPSoft)? I would think that %APPDATA%\JPSoft (C:\Users\«username»\AppData\Roaming\JPSoft would be a better place for the .INI file. On the other hand I don't think that %APPDATA%\JP Software is the proper place to download updates.

%LOCALAPPDATA% is supposed to hold system (PC) specific data. This is a good place for the updates (although the %TEMP% seems better), as well as any logs.
%APPDATA% is supposed to hold roaming (User) specific data (roaming means that in a proper Active Directory with roaming profiles, no matter which workstation you use, the data will be copied and will be the same). This is a good place for user preferences (e.g. TCC.INI or any aliases)

Source: (well, the best I could find) https://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/07/01/434647.aspx

Just a thought of course...

On 2009-05-15 01:44, gschizas wrote:

> %LOCALAPPDATA% is supposed to hold system (PC) specific data. This is a good place for the updates (although the %TEMP% seems better), as well as any logs.
> %APPDATA% is supposed to hold roaming (User) specific data (roaming means that in a proper Active Directory with roaming profiles, no matter which workstation you use, the data will be copied and will be the same). This is a good place for user preferences (e.g. TCC.INI or any aliases)

Well, the problem is you can have PC-specific settings in your .ini
files, or aliases (which I store in the %LocalAppData%\JPSoft dir too).

If all this data was 'roaming', you would be forced to have exactly the
same TC settings on all PC's in a certain domain. That is usually not
what you want.

There are some applications that actually split up their preferences
into local and roaming parts, such as Visual Studio. But this is way
too complicated for an app like TC, in my opinion... :)