Vista SP2 Issue

#1
Hello,

I'm using TCMD build 10.00.68. Everything has been great, but my machine just installed Vista Enterprise SP2. Upon reboot, TCMD faults when trying to run. TCC.exe seems to run ok, but tcmd.exe does not.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've read here that programs might insert themselves in take commands address space, but not sure exactly how to look for this. Also, I'm not aware of anything thing non-sp2 related happening during this patch.

I have had issues in the past with DEP, so I added tcmd to the "ignore list" in the DEP panel.

The contents of the tcmd.gpf are:
Code:
TCMD  10.00.68
Module=C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
Address=75B521DC
Exception=C0000005
EAX=00B26E3C  EBX=00000000  ECX=00000000  EDX=00000000
ESI=00B26E3C  EDI=00000000  EBP=00B26E1C  ESP=00B26E0C
CS=0000001B  DS=00000023  ES=00000023  SS=00000023
Flags=00010246

Stack:
1 : Secur32.dll 0001:000011dc
2 : Secur32.dll 0001:0000132a
3 : Secur32.dll 0001:00001254
4 : shell32.dll 0001:0005046c
5 : shell32.dll 0001:00050806
6 : shell32.dll 0001:00058dcb
7 : shell32.dll 0001:000506db
8 : shell32.dll 0001:00056467
Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling a bit lost without tcmd running.... Has anyone else seen this?

TCC 10.00.68 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]
TCC Build 68 Windows Vista Build 6002 Service Pack 2

Thank you very much.

Michael

************* UPDATE ************
The Secur32.dll file in windows/system32 is dated 4/10/2009.

I've also attempted to shut down ever non-essential running process but that does not help, which would make sense if there were Secur32.dll issues.

Can anyone else confirm this works on Vista SP2 with the secur32.dll file dated 4/10/2009. The MD5 hash for the file is: 1dedd60aab256cd04cba4159cbd2f66b

Thank you.
 
#2
Hello everyone,

No one has responded, and I've kept troubleshooting, but to no avail. This
morning, I removed take command, deleted the directory, deleted the jpsoft
reg keys, downloaded and installed a fresh copy.

That went fine and when I launched tcmd.exe from the install directory, it
asked me for my registration information. So far so good. However, after
entering that information, it crashed again. The GPF file contains the same
information as outlined below.

Rex or anyone, any thoughts? I can run TCC by itself, but I lose all the
crunchy TCMD goodness and need to get this working again.

Thank you for your help.

Michael

------------

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, frossm <> wrote:


> Hello,
>
> I'm using TCMD build 10.00.68. Everything has been great, but my machine
> just installed Vista Enterprise SP2. Upon reboot, TCMD faults when trying
> to run. TCC.exe seems to run ok, but tcmd.exe does not.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've read here that
> programs might insert themselves in take commands address space, but not
> sure exactly how to look for this. Also, I'm not aware of anything thing
> non-sp2 related happening during this patch.
>
> I have had issues in the past with DEP, so I added tcmd to the "ignore
> list" in the DEP panel.
>
> The contents of the tcmd.gpf are:
>
> Code:
> ---------
> TCMD 10.00.68
> Module=C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
> Address=75B521DC
> Exception=C0000005
> EAX=00B26E3C EBX=00000000 ECX=00000000 EDX=00000000
> ESI=00B26E3C EDI=00000000 EBP=00B26E1C ESP=00B26E0C
> CS=0000001B DS=00000023 ES=00000023 SS=00000023
> Flags=00010246
>
> Stack:
> 1 : Secur32.dll 0001:000011dc
> 2 : Secur32.dll 0001:0000132a
> 3 : Secur32.dll 0001:00001254
> 4 : shell32.dll 0001:0005046c
> 5 : shell32.dll 0001:00050806
> 6 : shell32.dll 0001:00058dcb
> 7 : shell32.dll 0001:000506db
> 8 : shell32.dll 0001:00056467
> ---------
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling a bit lost with tcmd
> running.... Has anyone else seen this?
>
> TCC 10.00.68 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]
> TCC Build 68 Windows Vista Build 6002 Service Pack 2
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Michael
>
>
>
>
>
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,501
94
#3
Not much I can do without a reproducible failcase on a local machine.
The stack trace is in a Windows DLL that Take Command doesn't call
(directly or indirectly).

The registration code is exactly the same in Take Command and TCC (it's
in the TakeCmd.dll).

Rex Conn
JP Software

frossm wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> No one has responded, and I've kept troubleshooting, but to no avail. This
> morning, I removed take command, deleted the directory, deleted the jpsoft
> reg keys, downloaded and installed a fresh copy.
>
> That went fine and when I launched tcmd.exe from the install directory, it
> asked me for my registration information. So far so good. However, after
> entering that information, it crashed again. The GPF file contains the same
> information as outlined below.
>
> Rex or anyone, any thoughts? I can run TCC by itself, but I lose all the
> crunchy TCMD goodness and need to get this working again.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Michael
>
> ------------
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, frossm <> wrote:
>
>
>
> ---Quote---
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using TCMD build 10.00.68. Everything has been great, but my machine
>> just installed Vista Enterprise SP2. Upon reboot, TCMD faults when trying
>> to run. TCC.exe seems to run ok, but tcmd.exe does not.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've read here that
>> programs might insert themselves in take commands address space, but not
>> sure exactly how to look for this. Also, I'm not aware of anything thing
>> non-sp2 related happening during this patch.
>>
>> I have had issues in the past with DEP, so I added tcmd to the "ignore
>> list" in the DEP panel.
>>
>> The contents of the tcmd.gpf are:
>>
>> Code:
>> ---------
>> TCMD 10.00.68
>> Module=C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
>> Address=75B521DC
>> Exception=C0000005
>> EAX=00B26E3C EBX=00000000 ECX=00000000 EDX=00000000
>> ESI=00B26E3C EDI=00000000 EBP=00B26E1C ESP=00B26E0C
>> CS=0000001B DS=00000023 ES=00000023 SS=00000023
>> Flags=00010246
>>
>> Stack:
>> 1 : Secur32.dll 0001:000011dc
>> 2 : Secur32.dll 0001:0000132a
>> 3 : Secur32.dll 0001:00001254
>> 4 : shell32.dll 0001:0005046c
>> 5 : shell32.dll 0001:00050806
>> 6 : shell32.dll 0001:00058dcb
>> 7 : shell32.dll 0001:000506db
>> 8 : shell32.dll 0001:00056467
>> ---------
>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling a bit lost with tcmd
>> running.... Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> TCC 10.00.68 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]
>> TCC Build 68 Windows Vista Build 6002 Service Pack 2
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> Michael
 
#4
Thanks for the note Rex. By reg keys I meant the windows registry, not
registration codes.

I've tried to kill every process possible and keep testing after each one.
I got down to about 10 processes remaining but it still GPF'd.

Can you confirm that you've had no issues with Vista SP2? Assuming it's my
machine, any pointers on how to debug this on my end. I'm really at wit's
end.

Thank you.

Michael

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM, rconn <> wrote:


> Not much I can do without a reproducible failcase on a local machine.
> The stack trace is in a Windows DLL that Take Command doesn't call
> (directly or indirectly).
>
> The registration code is exactly the same in Take Command and TCC (it's
> in the TakeCmd.dll).
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
> frossm wrote:
>
> Quote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > No one has responded, and I've kept troubleshooting, but to no avail.
> This
> > morning, I removed take command, deleted the directory, deleted the
> jpsoft
> > reg keys, downloaded and installed a fresh copy.
> >
> > That went fine and when I launched tcmd.exe from the install directory,
> it
> > asked me for my registration information. So far so good. However, after
> > entering that information, it crashed again. The GPF file contains the
> same
> > information as outlined below.
> >
> > Rex or anyone, any thoughts? I can run TCC by itself, but I lose all the
> > crunchy TCMD goodness and need to get this working again.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, frossm <> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > ---Quote---
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm using TCMD build 10.00.68. Everything has been great, but my machine
> >> just installed Vista Enterprise SP2. Upon reboot, TCMD faults when
> trying
> >> to run. TCC.exe seems to run ok, but tcmd.exe does not.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've read here
> that
> >> programs might insert themselves in take commands address space, but not
> >> sure exactly how to look for this. Also, I'm not aware of anything thing
> >> non-sp2 related happening during this patch.
> >>
> >> I have had issues in the past with DEP, so I added tcmd to the "ignore
> >> list" in the DEP panel.
> >>
> >> The contents of the tcmd.gpf are:
> >>
> >> Code:
> >> ---------
> >> TCMD 10.00.68
> >> Module=C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
> >> Address=75B521DC
> >> Exception=C0000005
> >> EAX=00B26E3C EBX=00000000 ECX=00000000 EDX=00000000
> >> ESI=00B26E3C EDI=00000000 EBP=00B26E1C ESP=00B26E0C
> >> CS=0000001B DS=00000023 ES=00000023 SS=00000023
> >> Flags=00010246
> >>
> >> Stack:
> >> 1 : Secur32.dll 0001:000011dc
> >> 2 : Secur32.dll 0001:0000132a
> >> 3 : Secur32.dll 0001:00001254
> >> 4 : shell32.dll 0001:0005046c
> >> 5 : shell32.dll 0001:00050806
> >> 6 : shell32.dll 0001:00058dcb
> >> 7 : shell32.dll 0001:000506db
> >> 8 : shell32.dll 0001:00056467
> >> ---------
> >> Any help would be appreciated. I'm feeling a bit lost with tcmd
> >> running.... Has anyone else seen this?
> >>
> >> TCC 10.00.68 Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]
> >> TCC Build 68 Windows Vista Build 6002 Service Pack 2
> >>
> >> Thank you very much.
> >>
> >> Michael
>
>
>
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,501
94
#5
I've put a test build up on ftp://jpsoft.com/beta/tcmd.exe. Uninstall
your current 10.0.68 and try installing this one and let me know if it
works. (I don't know what's causing the Windows API failures on your
system, so I'm trying to force Windows to use a different approach.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

frossm wrote:

> Thanks for the note Rex. By reg keys I meant the windows registry, not
> registration codes.
>
> I've tried to kill every process possible and keep testing after each one.
> I got down to about 10 processes remaining but it still GPF'd.
>
> Can you confirm that you've had no issues with Vista SP2? Assuming it's my
> machine, any pointers on how to debug this on my end. I'm really at wit's
> end.
 
#6
Hi Rex. Thanks for the note.

I removed takecommand and installed the beta. I received that same issue.
A GPF was created with the same stack information, although a different
Module Address (757221DC). I have no idea if this is important or not.

According to a dependency walker trace that I ran with this version, it
appears to be a call to GetUserNameExW fro Shell32.dll within secur32.dll.
This is the same as a previous run of the trace utility. I've pasted in the
end of it below.

I really appreciate your help on this. I'm a long time customer and
appreciate this kind of support.

Regards,

Michael


--- The end of the trace file ---
LoadLibraryExW("C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll", 0x00000000,
LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE | 0x00000020) returned 0x75AA0000.
LoadLibraryA("Secur32.dll") called from "SHELL32.DLL" at address 0x75B0BFB1.
LoadLibraryA("Secur32.dll") returned 0x75720000.
GetProcAddress(0x75720000 [SECUR32.DLL], "GetUserNameExW") called from
"SHELL32.DLL" at address 0x75B0B9FA and returned 0x7572222B.
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in
"SECUR32.DLL" at address 0x757221DC.
Exited "TCMD.EXE" (process 0x2FB8) with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
------------------

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM, rconn <> wrote:


> I've put a test build up on ftp://jpsoft.com/beta/tcmd.exe. Uninstall
> your current 10.0.68 and try installing this one and let me know if it
> works. (I don't know what's causing the Windows API failures on your
> system, so I'm trying to force Windows to use a different approach.)
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
> frossm wrote:
>
> Quote:
> > Thanks for the note Rex. By reg keys I meant the windows registry, not
> > registration codes.
> >
> > I've tried to kill every process possible and keep testing after each
> one.
> > I got down to about 10 processes remaining but it still GPF'd.
> >
> > Can you confirm that you've had no issues with Vista SP2? Assuming it's
> my
> > machine, any pointers on how to debug this on my end. I'm really at wit's
> > end.
>
>
>