Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What's going on?

May
I'm not blaming TCC but below, I couldn't change to \\zz\g$ ... but I could change to \\zz\c$ ... then back to v:\ ... then to \\zz\u$ ... then to \\zz\g$.

Code:
v:\> \\zz\g$
TCC: Unknown command "\\zz\g$"

v:\> \\zz\c$

\\zz\c$> b

v:\> \\zz\u$

\\zz\u$> \\zz\g$

\\zz\g$> v:

\\zz\g$>

I've used the admin shares between two machines (known to each other via HOSTS and LMHOSTS, same userid and password, admin membership on both) for years, even over a 24/7 VPN when I was working, and never had to give any credentials. And I've been doing it between these two machines for months. Neither machine has restarted in days and I'm sure I've accessed each from the other many times in those few days.

And, when attempting an automatic directory change (to one which really doesn't exist) without a trailing '\', the error message could be more appropriate.
Code:
v:\> \\bb\z$\foo
TCC: Unknown command "\\bb\z$\foo"

v:\> \\bb\z$\foo\
TCC: (Sys) The network name cannot be found.
 "\\bb\z$\foo\"

And, when attempting an automatic directory change (to one which really doesn't exist) without a trailing '\', the error message could be more appropriate.
Code:
v:\> \\bb\z$\foo
TCC: Unknown command "\\bb\z$\foo"

v:\> \\bb\z$\foo\
TCC: (Sys) The network name cannot be found.
"\\bb\z$\foo\"

TCC has no idea what you're trying to do there. TCC first tries it as a command; when that doesn't work it tries to do a directory change. Since that didn't work either, all TCC knows is that you entered some random gibberish.

If you enter an invalid command like:

Code:
c:\> fribble

you want TCC to always say "The network name cannot be found"?

I'm not blaming TCC but below, I couldn't change to \\zz\g$ ... but I could change to \\zz\c$ ... then back to v:\ ... then to \\zz\u$ ... then to \\zz\g$.

Code:
TCC: Unknown command "\\zz\g$"

v:\> \\zz\c$

\\zz\c$> b

v:\> \\zz\u$

\\zz\u$> \\zz\g$

\\zz\g$> v:

\\zz\g$>

Known (for a very, very long time) Windows timing issue if you're not already connected to the share.

Known (for a very, very long time) Windows timing issue if you're not already connected to the share.
That's not true in my experience. Moments ago Windows 10 finished installing a cumulative update. When I logged in for the first time, "net use" reported "There are no entries in the list" and "\\zz\g$" worked the first time. And with \\zz\g$ as current directory, "net use" still reports "There are no entries in the list". So I'm not sure what "[already] connected to the share" means.

Back