Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why is the TEE command 120 times slower?

Oct
I have written this code:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
TIMER /1 ON
DO i in /S *.*
    ECHO %i
    ECHO %_date %_time %i >> %tmp\logbook1.txt
ENDDO
TIMER /1 OFF

It executes in 1 minute and 17 seconds.

Because ECHO is used twice, I have written this code:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
TIMER /1 ON
DO i in /S *.*
    ECHO %i | TEE /a /d /t  %tmp\logbook2.txt
ENDDO
TIMER /1 OFF

It executes in 2 hours 45 minutes and 11 seconds.

Question: why is the TEE command 120 times slower?

I suspect it's because every time you use the pipe a new instance of TCC is started which carries a processing overhead. Do you have

Code:
iff %_pipe EQ 1 then...

in your TCCstart to ensure only the necessary parts of the startup files is processed in a pipe?

If you haven't already, you might wish to review the TCC help for In process pipes, they might be quicker in this case.

Redirection just changes the output handle to point to a file instead of the console. A pipe starts a second copy of TCC and connects the output of the parent with the input of the child. So you're starting a new TCC every time through the DO loop.

You should be using a command group and piping that, or piping the output of the entire batch file.

I suspect it's because every time you use the pipe a new instance of TCC is started which carries a processing overhead. Do you have

Code:
iff %_pipe EQ 1 then...

in your TCCstart to ensure only the necessary parts of the startup files is processed in a pipe?

If you haven't already, you might wish to review the TCC help for In process pipes, they might be quicker in this case.
The first line of my TCSTART.BTM is
Code:
if %_pipe == 1 .or. %_transient == 1 quit

Here, the time difference between dumbenis's two experiments is a factor of 10. I suppose the loading/saving of a history file (which I don't do) could also make a significant difference.

You should be using a command group and piping that, or piping the output of the entire batch file.
Amen!

Here, this
Code:
TIMER /1 ON
DO i in /S *.* | TEE /a /d /t %tmp\logbook2.txt
    ECHO %i
ENDDO
TIMER /1 OFF

is about 3 times as fast as
Code:
TIMER /1 ON
DO i in /S *.*
    ECHO %_date %_time %i
    ECHO %_date %_time %i >> %tmp\logbook1.txt
ENDDO
TIMER /1 OFF

The construction's behavior ain't very clear, I must say.
If you mean
[/code]
DO i in /S . | TEE /a /d /t %tmp\logbook2.txt
ECHO %i
ENDDO[/code]
I agree. But I don't know another way to do it with a multi-line DO without a subroutine or another batch file. Fortunately, it works. I'm not crazy about the way this (below) looks, but it also works.
Code:
TIMER /1 ON
GOSUB doit | TEE /a /d /t %tmp\logbook2.txt 
TIMER /1 OFF
QUIT

:doit
DO i in /S *.*
    ECHO %i
ENDDO
RETURN

Yes, I mean redirection in the first line.
In all other shells, the redirection normally placed at the end of structural block.

Redirection just changes the output handle to point to a file instead of the console. A pipe starts a second copy of TCC and connects the output of the parent with the input of the child. So you're starting a new TCC every time through the DO loop.

Perhaps TCC could handle the "| TEE" construct specially ?

Is there a significant speed difference if you use an in-process pipe instead?

Perhaps TCC could handle the "| TEE" construct specially ?

Three problems with that:

1) At the time of the redirection, TCC doesn't know (or care) what the next command is going to be. That would require a major effort to write a new "look ahead" parser.

2) I think it's a bad idea in general to change the behavior based on isolated cases. It tends to surprise the users, usually unpleasantly.

3) Changing the pipe behavior when it's going to a TEE would actually slow down the output if you are using the appropriate syntax for piping -- i.e., with a command group or piping the batch file output.