Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wierd startup.

O.K. 27.00.17 and 27.00.18 are now installing for me. Not sure what I did beyond rebooting for other reasons several times. But I am still having a problem at startup. As part of my 4start.cmd I have the line "prompt `%@lower[%_disk]`:$g" and I expect the prompt to wind up as "c:>", but instead I am getting "[C:4NT12]". If I enter 4start<cr>, the prompt becomes the proper "c:>". All the rest of the .cmd file seems to get executed properly (alias and path and some other setup sort of stuff) but that prompt is wrong and I don't know where the 4NT12 comes from. The directory for my current TakeCommand installation is 4NT13. Oh, I only use TCC, not TakeCommand. Directories 4NT10, 4NT11, 4NT12, and 4NT13 are all on the disk, but only 4NT13 is currently used. What is going on?

Harvey

I am not sure what you mean. My 4start.cmd is

@echo off
prompt `%@lower[%_disk]`:$g
path=%path%;c:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin;c:\bin;c:\epsilon\bin;c:\c700\bin;c:\ztw;d:\jlblink\bltools;c:\bat;d:\nethack;c:\Borland\Bcc55;
alias /r c:\4nt10\alias1.doc
f:\tclock\clock64.exe
set cdpath=0
set pathext=.exe;.btm;.bat;.cmd;.vbs;.js;.ws;.rex;.rexx;.pl;.rb;.py;.tcl;.pdf

set .pdf = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

rem set vcscfg=c:\bin\vcs.cfg
rem set bixprn=0
rem set bldir=d:\jlblink

Most of that was built when I first started using 4dos, thirty years ago or so, and I have not read the instruction manual since then. It HAS grown a bit.

Harvey

If you "echo %_TCSTART" it will echo the name of the startup file that it used. It may not be the one you think.

Hmm. Initially, it replied

c:>echo %_tcstart
ECHO is OFF

Then when I turned on ECHO, it replied

c:>ECHO %_TCSTART
ECHO
ECHO is ON

What am I doing wrong???????

Harvey

Hmm. Initially, it replied

c:>echo %_tcstart
ECHO is OFF

Then when I turned on ECHO, it replied

c:>ECHO %_TCSTART
ECHO
ECHO is ON

What am I doing wrong???????

Harvey
You're not doing anything wrong. It just means that TCC didn't find a startup file. I don't think the name "4start..." works these days. Try Charles's suggestion; rename it TCSTART.BTM.

Call me an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I built 4nt13, 4start.cmd did not get copied over from 4nt12. So there was no initialization file at all. Once I copied 4start.cmd from 4nt12, everything started working. Sorry for exercising you!!! So 4start.cmd still seems to work. It dates from 1990 or so, so I really hate to get rid of it, purely for old time's sake. Thanks guys!!!!!!

Harvey