Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will this survive an update?

May
Will this survive an update? It lets me (unelevated) start and stop the Everything service.
Code:
subinacl /service Everything /grant=zz\vefatica=TOP
If updating merely stops the service and the client, replaces Everything.exe, and starts them again, I suspect the answer is "Yes". If updating uninstalls/installs the service, I suspect "No".

I don't use Everything often ... only when experimenting. So I don't want it running all the time. After the command above, toggling between using Everything and not using it is relatively easy (without a UAC prompt).
Code:
iff "%1" eq "1" then
   net start everything
   delay 2
   start g:\tc20\everything.exe -startup
elseiff "%1" eq "0" then
   start g:\tc20\everything.exe -quit
   net stop everything
endiff

Will this survive an update? It lets me (unelevated) start and stop the Everything service.
Code:
subinacl /service Everything /grant=zz\vefatica=TOP
If updating merely stops the service and the client, replaces Everything.exe, and starts them again, I suspect the answer is "Yes". If updating uninstalls/installs the service, I suspect "No".

Just checked the installer; it does a:
Code:
sc stop Everything
sc delete Everything

So, bad luck, I guess.

EDIT: Except when you choose "Do not install Everything Search (No NTFS Indexing)" during installation. But that's not an update, is it :-)

Just checked the installer; it does a:
Code:
sc stop Everything
sc delete Everything

So, bad luck, I guess.
Thanks for checking. I don't know how to do that.
It maybe bad luck, but I'm not out of luck. With some Scheduled Task trickery (run on demand, highest privileges) I can do it anyway, without a UAC prompt.
Code:
iff "%1" eq "1" then
        schtasks.exe /run /tn StartEverything
        delay 2
        start g:\tc20\everything.exe -startup
elseiff "%1" eq "0" then
        start g:\tc20\everything.exe -quit
        schtasks.exe /run /tn StopEverything
endiff