Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 10 Terminal (Preview)

Is this a competitor to TakeCommand? What does Terminal do that TCMD does not?

Windows Command-Line: Inside the Windows Console

From the article:
For example, 3rd party Consoles have to launch a Command-Line app off-screen at, for example, (-32000,-32000). They then have to send keystrokes to the off-screen Console, and screen-scrape the off-screen Console's text contents and re-draw them on their own UI! I know, crazy, right?! It's a testament to the ingenuity and determination of the creators of these apps that they even work at all.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/co...dows-command-line-inside-the-windows-console/

Joe

Can you back out of it?

Well, this is only the preview, and I had trouble even getting tcc.exe to work (properly) in it, so I'm not pursuing it any further for now.

As tcc.exe is the best, in my opinion, command console replacement, I am looking forward to all the new features of Windows Terminal being added to a future version of tcc.exe

Joe

Hmmm! I was using an Insider build of Windows 10 until last week when my cheapo laptop died. It had some new console thingy because the properties dialog for console apps had an extra tab ("terminal", or something like that). TCC was working OK in it. In fact it fixed a bug wherein the console wouldn't stay scrolled, even if the prompt and cursor were within view. Keystrokes would make it auto-scroll back to where it was before I manually scrolled it.

Here's what happened to the laptop in case anyone has any ideas. I had just got a new Insider build ... that was OK after a restart. Then Windows Update said there was a firmware (HP) update. That seemed to go OK according to the progress indicator but when it came time to restart (or continue starting) it was dead ... only a faintly-lit screen that flickered every 5-10 seconds. I could turn it off but after I turned it back on, the same thing happened. It just wouldn't boot. Any ideas.

Today I got a new workstation ... 3.5 GHz, 12 cores, 16GB RAM and SS drives ... I'm impressed (but still not crazy about Windows 10). There's some stuff on the dead laptop I'd like to retrieve (but nothing I can't re-create).

Hmmm! I was using an Insider build of Windows 10 until last week when my cheapo laptop died.
Here's what happened to the laptop in case anyone has any ideas. I had just got a new Insider build ... that was OK after a restart. Then Windows Update said there was a firmware (HP) update. That seemed to go OK according to the progress indicator but when it came time to restart (or continue starting) it was dead ... only a faintly-lit screen that flickered every 5-10 seconds. I could turn it off but after I turned it back on, the same thing happened. It just wouldn't boot. Any ideas.
There's some stuff on the dead laptop I'd like to retrieve (but nothing I can't re-create).
I never saw a firmware update done through a windows update, so I am not sure if this can help, but maybe the firmware update was corrupted and so the laptop does not start anymore. If You can specify the exact model, maybe it is possible to start it in emergency mode to recover previous firmware.
Maybe You can put the hard disk into the new workstation, to recover files.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Insert your system restore/boot disk, and see if it boots okay with that.

Joe

Try to fall into BIOS first. It may not be trivial, if your laptop vendor is crazy bound to Windows.
In which case, it may be easier to boot from installation media.

From Vincent's description, it sounds to me as if the machine isn't even POSTing. In which case — sorry to say — it's probably bricked.

Has anyone gotten TCC to work with Windows Terminal (Preview) installed from the Windows Store?

Simply cloning the built-in cmd profile and replacing cmd with tcc doesn't work, it just opens and immediately closes a new tab when creating a TCC tab.

Tried with a full path to tcc and just the executable name with tcc in the system path.

Code:
     _x64: 1
   _admin: 1
_elevated: 1

TCC  25.00.14 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.18362.295]
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
1567292261729.png

1567292028774.png

From Profiles.json;
1567292142868.png

Note well that the GUID must be unique from the other profiles.

Joe

Reactions: Per