Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 7 oddness with the less pager

Apr
Hello,

I'm testing Take Command 10.00.68 under Windows 7 RC1 and while things are mostly working I'm having trouble getting the GNU project Less pager to work inside a Take Command window.

Run from within a Take Command prompt if I just type "less" I get the "Missing filename (""less --help" for help) prompt. If I type less --help the pager hangs. If I type less <filename> the pager hangs. I get the same behavior whether I run TCMD as an admin or not.

I fired up SysInternals Process Monitor and didn't see anything that raised a flag but I'm still looking.

The same build of both Less and Take Command works fine under Windows XP, Vista SP2 (both 32 and 64-bit)

Less on Windows 7 works fine from a Windows 7 command prompt.

Any thoughts?

Magus wrote:

> I'm testing Take Command 10.00.68 under Windows 7 RC1 and while things are mostly working I'm having trouble getting the GNU project Less pager to work inside a Take Command window.
>
> Run from within a Take Command prompt if I just type "less" I get the "Missing filename (""less --help" for help) prompt. If I type less --help the pager hangs. If I type less <filename> the pager hangs. I get the same behavior whether I run TCMD as an admin or not.
>
> I fired up SysInternals Process Monitor and didn't see anything that raised a flag but I'm still looking.
>
> The same build of both Less and Take Command works fine under Windows XP, Vista SP2 (both 32 and 64-bit)
>
> Less on Windows 7 works fine from a Windows 7 command prompt.

It's a Windows 7 bug (with alternate screen buffers). Hopefully MS will
fix it before they release Win7. (If not, a lot of people are going to
have to rewrite their apps.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

It's a Windows 7 bug (with alternate screen buffers). Hopefully MS will
fix it before they release Win7. (If not, a lot of people are going to
have to rewrite their apps.)

I'm getting the same behavior with Windows 7 RTM. Will fixing this require changes to TCMD or Less? Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated.

Magus