Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows Firewall Rules will be deleted

Jan
Hi,

I use TC v17.x (Build 69) 64-bit on my Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS.

I know, that TC creates automatically some Windows Firewall inbound rules while install process - even by updates.

However, I did not know that, that TC deletes all TC related rules! And unfortunately not only the rules created by TC installer, even my own (TC related) allow and block rules will be deleted!

So at least the self-created block rules should not be deleted, right? IMHO a program resp. install routine should NEVER automatically (without user-action) deleting self-created block rules!

Possible solutions:

v1: installer should only delete TC related rules with "Action=Allow" and NOT with "Action=Block".

v2: installer should only delete TC related rules, created through installer.

It seems that I here have other programs that use solution 2.

Greetings and a happy New Year to all!

Alpengreis

Last edited:
Caphyon (Advanced Installer) states
Code:
You can offer a better firewall experience for your users by adding your application to the Firewall Exceptions List automatically at install time and removing it at uninstall.
They don't say what's automatic. It makes sense to remove a firewall rule if the target app is removed (as happens briefly during an update). But I suspect the underlying APIs support removing rules by name (as opposed to target app). NETSH can do that.

Thank you both.

Then it seems indeed, it's an installer thing.

The removing of the installer-created (allow) rules while deinstallation/update is not evil - it's even a good feature (IMHO). But the installer should leave user-created rules - at least BLOCK rules!

I have forgotten to mention: the installer creates always new standard rules while install-/update-process. And they are - at least for me - much too "open" - and because an installation/update deletes my rules, this is really not good ...

Alpengreis, you may already know that you could use NETSH in a batch file to automate restoring the deleted rules. YOu can get some pretty good help like this.
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule ?

Alpengreis, you may already know that you could use NETSH in a batch file to automate restoring the deleted rules. YOu can get some pretty good help like this.
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule ?
Yes, I know this. I even have a special GUI for Windows Firewall, where I can easily restore my rules.

Neverthless - my intention for this posting was: I just thought that the install-process itself should act differently.

Yes, I know this. I even have a special GUI for Windows Firewall, where I can easily restore my rules.

Neverthless - my intention for this posting was: I just thought that the install-process itself should act differently.

What is the special GUI for W. firewall?