Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wish on Kickstarter, Reinventing TC?

Seen this? http://kickstarter.com/projects/20258791/wish

"Wish is the ultimate command line experience for Windows; featuring tabs, panes, syntax highlighting and improved tab completion."

Looks like this fella hasn't heard of Take Command. I emailed him about it, no response yet.

Vapourware. Not being negative, just stating the facts.

One may be able to re-invent Take Command, but I highly doubt that anyone could duplicate the excellent customer support that Rexx provides. To me, customer support is just as important as a great product. You can't have one without the other.

Joe

I highly doubt that anyone could duplicate the excellent customer support that Rexx provides. To me, customer support is just as important as a great product. You can't have one without the other.

No kidding!! Take Command does everything there, and far far more. Fantastic support, been around 20+ yrs, super polished, excellent help, consistent, elegant, and tons more. Just makes me sad more people don't know about it. I've seen people tweeting about that Wish project saying 'yea! someone's doing something about it', of course send back info on TC, just wish more people knew. Doing what I can though to spread the word.

p.s. I started using it as 4DOS, by far my single longest used program. Huge fanboy.

Praxim was a neat command line that used a different idiom to 4nt. Clickable directories, tool-boxes, etc, clickable double-level help, etc. Did not run past the 16-bit stuff, though.

Personally, when I work with text files - whether they contain data (including documents) or source code - I do not want to take my hand off the keyboard. If I need to do that to access some feature of the program I currently use, Doing so introduces a delay into whatever I am doing. My recently purchased Win7/64b system includes Word2007; it takes several times as long to get anything done than on my much slower old computer using Word2000, because I learned to read many decades ago, but never went to school in the Egypt of Cheops to learn how to interpret hieroglyphics. And as yet I could not turn on tooltips.
OTOH, to achieve the moving goal of COMMAND.COM/CMD.EXE compatibility, 4DOS and all of its successors use an archaic syntax that typically does not unambiguously distinguish between code and data in the command line, making it substantially more difficult to write reusable code - aliases, functions, and batch programs.

"Wish is the ultimate command line experience for Windows; featuring tabs, panes, syntax highlighting and improved tab completion."

Syntax highlighting on the command line would be cool. (It would also be a major pain to implement, I suspect.)

Then there was praxim for windows 3.1. It had some nifty features not seen in other apps. For example, a 'dir' produced a directory, but the documents and exe files were actually hot-linked to the documents in question. Clicking on 'mydoc.bmp' actually opened the document.

see http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176089#p176089 the second picture.

This is a custom hack of Windows 3.11, running an external program PRAXIM. all of the windows that one sees belongs to praxim, the other apps are minimised behind the bottom left. There are several tool-boxes open, each loaded with applications that Praxim thought would be handy (they're based on app-size actually, and the Windows 3.x groups). Windoze (the group at the bottom left), and WinOS2 (the highlighted group), are default groups in the patched windows, (they're seen in earlier posts aw well). Favorite progs (top right), is based on what Praxim thought would be nifty.

Bottom right is a "browser", a glorified 'file open' dialog.

Across the top, we see a long thin window titled 'Praxim - K:\walls\1994'. This is a command line. The (info) button on the command line brings up quick-help (in a window), of the command at the prompt. It has a link on that menu to the full help in praxim.hlp. It's sort of like the F1 key in 4nt etc.

The command just issued is 'dir' in that directory. This brought up the directory-in-a-window seen top left. It's a list of of the multi-page wallpapers, specifically from OS/2 2.x to 4.x, rendered for use in Windows. One sees that 'orchids.bmp' is highlighted.

This is because it had just been clicked by a mouse. The act of clicking it opened the document, which in this case, fed it to a program that sets it as wallpaper. That program is also part of the Windows hack. You can see its icon sitting in control panel, in the third post (just above the MS-DOS 6.30 window). Yes, that is MS-DOS 6.30, a patched 6.22, that had all of the 6.22 bits changed to 6.30, even in the binary form (ie 4dos would say it's running under MS-DOS 6.30, because it reads that information from a setting made by IO.SYS).

I actually used that copy of Windows for many years, well past 1995. '7654' is a code for 1996/august/15. I used windows 3.1 and DOS and OS2 until about 2002 (when the 486 died). Apparently 7654 was an incremental build as well, so it's older still.

I bought praxim while waiting for take command/16 and take command/32 1.0 to arrive in the mail.

Back