Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Working UTF-8 Support

Feb
Yes, a tall order. I develop a lot of Java software with lots of UTF-8 console output. Same goes for subversion when codepage 65001 is active.

But output looks never looks right.

So my suggestion: Please add UTF-8 output to your

Martin

Let me check. Does it make a difference when it is set in the TCMD.INI?

Code:
[4NT]
…
UTF8Output=yes
…

Martin

TCMD.INI is handled when you start a new instance of TCC.EXE. However, since you can use
option //UnicodeOutput=yes
and
option //UnicodeOutput=no
at any time (e.g., in a batch file) it can probably be done at any time, too. Test it!

Try TYPE with a file containing Unicode (UTF-8) characters. OPTION //Unicode=Yes has no influence on the (incorrect) output. However: CHCP 65001 will do what you want.

BUT: Try this (with CHCP 65001 set) on the TCC command line: REN test töst

So, here the input is the problem. In conclusion: No working Unicode support in TCC (I haven't tested this with TCmd as I don't use it...).

That would solve the input problem for TYPE (but not for any other tools that I use frequently), but not the output problem...

Try TYPE with a file containing Unicode (UTF-8) characters. OPTION //Unicode=Yes has no influence on the (incorrect) output. However: CHCP 65001 will do what you want.

BUT: Try this (with CHCP 65001 set) on the TCC command line: REN test töst

So, here the input is the problem. In conclusion: No working Unicode support in TCC (I haven't tested this with TCmd as I don't use it...).
Internal UNICODE support ("OPTION //Unicode=Yes") of application has very little relevance to the UNICODE support of the terminal you're working in ("chcp 65001").

Hence UTYPE in TextUtils.

But that won't help for Maven and Subversion output. But it does show that there is still a problem with Unicode output in TakeCommand. And so my Suggestion for JP still stands: Do test unicode output more thorough and fix all bugs encountered.

That's a bit of a misstatement. TCMD and TCC fully support Unicode the (only) way Windows supports it, as UTF-16. The Windows file system and internal Windows APIs do not support UTF-8. The UTF-8 support that TCC does include -- which is way more than CMD (i.e., none at all) -- requires converting everything before passing it to & from Windows. Including UTF-8 support everywhere would (1) substantially slow down TCC and TCMD for everybody, including the 99.99% who never use UTF-8, and (2) require several thousand lines of additional code (probably in the 10,000-20,000 range).

So it comes down to priorities -- would all the users rather have no new features & slower execution in the next version of TCC / TCMD in exchange for full UTF-8 support?