Wrong File Size

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
G

Glennbo51

Guest
#1
When I do a "Check for Updates" from

TCC 12.00.36 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 36 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3

I get a "Wrong File Size error"
 
G

Glennbo51

Guest
#4
On 11/27/2010 15:13, vefatica wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by GlennBo51)---
> When I do a "Check for Updates" from
>
> TCC 12.00.36 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> TCC Build 36 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3
>
> I get a "Wrong File Size error"
> ---End Quote---
> I get it too (trying to update 38 to 39).
>
>
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I would like to point out the ^$ Bit version updated just fine. It
appears to be only the 32 bit version that has the issue.
 

dim

Dimitry Andric
May 31, 2008
203
0
Netherlands
#5
On 2010-11-27 22:30, GlennBo51 wrote:

> I would like to point out the ^$ Bit version updated just fine. It
> appears to be only the 32 bit version that has the issue.
Yep, the 32-bit installer seems corrupt. The tcmd.exe file I
downloaded is just 2,786,550 bytes, while the installer for 12.0.37 is
7,522,264 bytes...
 
#8
rconn:
| That's what happens when you download when an upload is in progress!

You used to announce new builds only after they were uploaded to the server. That would have prevented premature downloads. Regardless, Murphy's Law guarantees that sooner or later there will be someone checking for updates when an upload is in progress, an event of which the user cannot be aware. Some mechanism ought to be provided that even in that event no user would download a partial (and thus corrupt) installer. If this were my product, I would perform the following in order to achieve this:
1/ upload all files of the new build (i.e., both 32-b and 64-b versions of all updated installers, and all new help files) into a holding area on the server (of servers, if the FTP and HTTP servers are not the same).
2/ make the server temporarily unavailable
3/ move all files to their distribution location (this could be just a change of directory name)
4/ make the server available
5/ post the announcement in the forum
6/ update the website
--
Steve
 
Aug 9, 2009
133
0
#9
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Fábián [mailto:]
> Sent: Sunday, 28 November 2010 2:43 p.m.

>
>
> rconn:
> | That's what happens when you download when an upload is in progress!
>
> You used to announce new builds only after they were uploaded to the server. That would have
> prevented premature downloads. Regardless, Murphy's Law guarantees that sooner or later there will
> be someone checking for updates when an upload is in progress, an event of which the user cannot be
> aware. Some mechanism ought to be provided that even in that event no user would download a partial
> (and thus corrupt) installer. If this were my product, I would perform the following in order to
> achieve this:
> 1/ upload all files of the new build (i.e., both 32-b and 64-b versions of all updated installers,
> and all new help files) into a holding area on the server (of servers, if the FTP and HTTP servers
> are not the same).
> 2/ make the server temporarily unavailable
> 3/ move all files to their distribution location (this could be just a change of directory name)
> 4/ make the server available
> 5/ post the announcement in the forum
> 6/ update the website
> --
> Steve
Someone will moan about that as well