Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Youtube videos on Take Command usage

Jun
Apart from the videos on Youtube here ( http://jpsoft.com/all-tutorials/take-command-tutorials.html ), I would like to see more videos from regular participants of this forum, demonstrating how you use Take Command in your work.

I am comfortable in how I work with TCC or TCC/LE as a shell interpreter, but I know from reading past messages here that I am not using it to its full capacity. And if that is true with TCC, how much more true is it with the full Take Command GUI application!

I would really like to see how other folks use Take Command in their job. I know that much more is possible, so this message is an encouragement and a request to please put something together to show us how the pros do it. Thanks.

Eric

Eric, I'm going to stick my opinion in here and say that maybe it's because of my background vs. yours, and quite possibly other people would strongly disagree with me, but I have a bit of a hard time even relating to your request. For me, TCC is just a general very-high level programming language (the "SafeChars" plugin completely "firmed that up"; and many of whose programming facilities can be used directly from the keyboard without writing a "program" (batch file) at all) and and knowing about and being able to use the "advanced" features just basically falls into the category of knowing how to write programs in the first place. What I'm getting at is that teaching these advanced things would just be teaching programming in general, and if that's the issue I would look into learning programming in the more abstract case. If that's not the issue (seems somewhat likely to me), getting into the habit of just thinking about it as a programming language, period, might take you well along the route you are asking for help to be led down. I'll add something here that I've said before in these forums: for me TCC has almost completely replaced C++, and it's probably at least an order of magnitude faster (for me) to write a program in TCC than it is to write it in C++. And I'll finally add that, since you read and often post on this bulletin board you are evidently a very bright person, I don't think there would really be any issues if you just started to think about TCC that way. (I may have said this before but I don't remember if I have because of my bad memory, but the primary reason I haunt this bulletin board is because I really appreciate the programming skills and intelligence of the other people who also "haunt" this bulletin board (including you???); something that was quite rare for me in my everyday work when I was actually still working as a programmer type person.)

Eric, I'm going to stick my opinion in here and say that maybe it's because of my background vs. yours, and quite possibly other people would strongly disagree with me, but I have a bit of a hard time even relating to your request. For me, TCC is just a general very-high level programming language (the "SafeChars" plugin completely "firmed that up" . . .
Matthew, I'm probably a lot like you, in that I also love TCC (the command interpreter) and use it daily and regularly. It's a "must have" tool.

My request, which I failed to explain clearly, is that I want to learn about the parts of Take Command that I use less frequently: The Folders window, the command-input window, the List View window, using multiple tabs effectively, what kind of buttons power users add to the toolbar, the debugger, using plugins effectively (and why), and so much more.

Matt, I know my own TCC or TCC/LE environment very well. Most or nearly all of my batch files contain embedded help (via "--help" as a command-line parameter) and emit an error message if the proper number of arguments could not be found.

I have my own "man" directory, which in my case are*.pdf or *.txt files. If I type "man awk" at a command line, TCC does pushd to that directory and runs this command:
Code:
select call manparse.btm ( *%1*.* )
popd

Then I can use SELECT to tag as many different files that have "awk" somewhere in the filename, and the proper reader is invoked for the file, depending on its file extension. I think this is very cool, and it fits my work habits quite well.

I am now asking about what aspects of Take Command that I am missing, especially the GUI portions of the Take Command application. HTH.

My request, which I failed to explain clearly, is that I want to learn about the parts of Take Command that I use less frequently: The Folders window, the command-input window, the List View window, using multiple tabs effectively, what kind of buttons power users add to the toolbar, the debugger, using plugins effectively (and why), and so much more.
I have the same desire to know more about effective/advanced use of Take Command - not TCC, which I know quite well. I never run Take Command because I can't figure out why I should vs. running TCC and a good file manager.
But the IDE is a different proposition, I love it. It's a convenient and rich environment for coding btm files, and it speeds up my productivity. Of course, if a btm file needs to be TCCLE compatible then the IDE isn't too helpful because it enables all features that aren't supported in TCCLE.
I have my own "man" directory, which in my case are*.pdf or *.txt files. If I type "man awk" at a command line, TCC does pushd to that directory and runs this command: ...

Then I can use SELECT to tag as many different files that have "awk" somewhere in the filename, and the proper reader is invoked for the file, depending on its file extension. I think this is very cool, and it fits my work habits quite well.
I fits my work habits too! I have a nearly equivalent alias - the main difference being that it uses @SEARCH and @SELECT instead of CDD and SELECT.