Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Zip and reparse points

Jun
Can I tell the zip command to dereference, or not, reparse points? Sometimes I want to get the target files or folders that junctions/symbolic links point to. Sometimes I want to get the junction or symbolic link reparse point itself. That is, when I restore from a zip file, sometimes I want to restore the actual targets (folders or files) and sometimes I want to restore the junction or symbolic links themselves.

I can use attributes to include or exclude reparse points. But, if I exclude them, then nothing is zipped nor restored.

Am I simply seeking too much?

I am using TCMD 12.0.41 x64

Can I tell the zip command to dereference, or not, reparse points? Sometimes I want to get the target files or folders that junctions/symbolic links point to. Sometimes I want to get the junction or symbolic link reparse point itself. That is, when I restore from a zip file, sometimes I want to restore the actual targets (folders or files) and sometimes I want to restore the junction or symbolic links themselves.

I can use attributes to include or exclude reparse points. But, if I exclude them, then nothing is zipped nor restored.

There isn't currently any way to dereference links in the ZIP command.

The zip standard doesn't have any provision for this, so I'd have to experiment a bit to see how feasible it is. I'll add it to the suggestion list for v13, though at this point I don't see it as being of more than limited usefulness.

There isn't currently any way to dereference links in the ZIP command.

The zip standard doesn't have any provision for this, so I'd have to experiment a bit to see how feasible it is. I'll add it to the suggestion list for v13, though at this point I don't see it as being of more than limited usefulness.

Thank you for your consideration. I agree that the ability is not universally important. But, to a few situations on my network, the ability would be very nice. Further, I know that the standard zip program and other programs don't do what I want. I was hoping that in TCMD, a much more complete product than a simple zip program, that it would be possible.

If you do consider implementing such an ability, why not include the copy command?

Again, thanks.

---- Original Message ----
| Quote:
| Originally Posted by rconn
|| There isn't currently any way to dereference links in the ZIP command.
||
|| The zip standard doesn't have any provision for this, so I'd have to
|| experiment a bit to see how feasible it is. I'll add it to the
|| suggestion list for v13, though at this point I don't see it as being
|| of more than limited usefulness.
|
| Thank you for your consideration. I agree that the ability is not
| universally important. But, to a few situations on my network, the
| ability would be very nice. Further, I know that the standard zip
| program and other programs don't do what I want. I was hoping that in
| TCMD, a much more complete product than a simple zip program, that it
| would be possible.
|
| If you do consider implementing such an ability, why not include the
| copy command?

Yes, it would make sense to create a possibly empty ZIP file, and use the COPY command - which already has all the bells and whistles desired - to copy into it whatever is desired, as if the ZIP file were a directory. Or a ZFS (ZIP File System)?
--
Steve

Yes, it would make sense to create a possibly empty ZIP file, and use the COPY command - which already has all the bells and whistles desired - to copy into it whatever is desired, as if the ZIP file were a directory. Or a ZFS (ZIP File System)?

Sure, if you don't mind that your zip files can't be read or extracted anywhere else.

---- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, 2010. December 8. 16:09
Subject: RE: [Support-t-2473] Re: Zip and reparse points

| Quote:
|| Originally Posted by Steve F�bi�n
|| Yes, it would make sense to create a possibly empty ZIP file, and use
|| the COPY command - which already has all the bells and whistles
|| desired - to copy into it whatever is desired, as if the ZIP file
|| were a directory. Or a ZFS (ZIP File System)?
|
| Sure, if you don't mind that your zip files can't be read or
| extracted anywhere else.

My intention was to enhance the COPY command so that it would detect that the target is a ZIP file, and use ipworkszip8.dll to store the selected files in it. That would update the ZIP file in a manner that it is usable anywhere.
--
Steve

My intention was to enhance the COPY command so that it would detect that the target is a ZIP file, and use ipworkszip8.dll to store the selected files in it. That would update the ZIP file in a manner that it is usable anywhere.

Not unless I removed most of the COPY code and options, or ignored the ZIP standards and wrote my own headers.

The ZIP format is very limited and couldn't support 5% of COPY unless I threw out compatibility.

Not unless I removed most of the COPY code and options, or ignored the ZIP standards and wrote my own headers.

The ZIP format is very limited and couldn't support 5% of COPY unless I threw out compatibility.

Let me clarify my original statement, "If you do consider implementing such an ability, why not include the copy command?" I was not thinking of anything like what has been discussed. In fact, on further research, my "copy" comment/request has no merit. Something just flew through my mind and I made the comment without clearly thinking it through. I apologize. My thought was bogus. If the zip command can be enhanced to handle reparse points (links) that will be great. It might not be feasible. I trust that Rex will make the best decision when he looks into it.