Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem using start to launch admin command prompt via TCC toolbar button

This one has been bugging me for years and thought I'd finally ask what I'm doing wrong. I've created a button like this.

1715345604336.png

I click the button and I get this.

1715345665903.png

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb with PATHing or maybe COMSPEC, etc. because I can type that directly into a TCC prompt. Any ideas?

TIA

The COMMAND needs to include a command (cmd presumably). So command should be cmd /elevated......

@Richard Kaye, have you (or anyone) ever done this successfully? I don't think it's possible for an unelevated TCMD to host an elevated app in a tab.

Forgetting about the toolbar button for a moment, if, in an enelevated TCC running in an unelevated TCMD, you issue start /tab /elevated cmd, you get an elevated CMD, not in a tab and completely unseen.

Thanks all for the replies.

Since start is an internal command of TCC, the winner is Alpengreis!

Just for background, on occasion I need a regular admin command prompt and want to invoke from Take Command. I'm not trying to get it to surface as a tab inside the TC container.

In Windows Terminal, this (in the settings file) will do the job. Note that the guid needs to be unique.

{
"commandline": "%SystemRoot%\\System32\\cmd.exe",
"elevate": true,
"guid": "{0caa0dad-35ce-5f56-a8ff-afceeeaa6101}",
"hidden": false,
"name": "CMD Admin"
},