Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4NT 8.00 Registration Question

Aug
Hi, This is off-topic for this forum, apparently for all forums, but I thought someone might have an answer. I've got a registered copy of 4NT 8.00 which I'm using in Vista. The problem is registration. I can enter the keys, it says the registration was successful, but 20 or 30 commands later it informs me that the trial period has expired and I have to close and reopen. Is there any workaround for this? Thanks!

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:23:03 -0400, Wanderer <> was
claimed to have wrote:

>Hi, This is off-topic for this forum, apparently for all forums, but I thought someone might have an answer. I've got a registered copy of 4NT 8.00 which I'm using in Vista. The problem is registration. I can enter the keys, it says the registration was successful, but 20 or 30 commands later it informs me that the trial period has expired and I have to close and reopen. Is there any workaround for this? Thanks!

It's been a while since I used 4NT 8, but going from memory, find 4NT in
the start menu (or Explorer), right click and "Run as administrator",
then register 4NT and quit.

Once registered from an administrative account I believe it will work.

> Hi, This is off-topic for this forum, apparently for all forums, but I
> thought someone might have an answer. I've got a registered copy of 4NT
> 8.00 which I'm using in Vista. The problem is registration. I can enter
> the keys, it says the registration was successful, but 20 or 30
> commands later it informs me that the trial period has expired and I
> have to close and reopen. Is there any workaround for this? Thanks!

4NT v8 (which was released before Vista) uses the HKLM registry tree for its
registration info. However, Vista (and Win 7) will not normally allow you
to write to that tree. Instead, Windows temporarily caches the write (to a
different location).

You can try starting 4NT by right-clicking and selecting "Run as
administrator", and doing the registration there, or you could use the key
file version of v8 instead (which puts the registration info in a file --
but this will not work in Vista if you installed 4NT into "\program files").

V9 and later write the registration to the HKCU tree, so they do not have
this problem.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Hi Rexx.

>> 4NT v8 (which was released before Vista) uses the HKLM registry tree for its registration info. However, Vista (and Win 7) will not normally allow you to write to that tree. Instead, Windows temporarily caches the write (to a different location). <<

Thanks, Rexx. Yes. That would make sense. I've had the same problem myself, I think I can work around that it.

>> You can try starting 4NT by right-clicking and selecting "Run as
administrator", and doing the registration there, or you could use the key
file version of v8 instead (which puts the registration info in a file --
but this will not work in Vista if you installed 4NT into "\program files"). <<

That's what Dave said (Thanks, Dave!) but that didn't seem to work. It held on Vista32 RTM but this one has all the updates to get it to SP2 and it just doesn't seem to want to hold.

>> V9 and later write the registration to the HKCU tree, so they do not have this problem. <<

I didn't even know there was a V9. I've got to get out more. :) I thought V8 was the end of the line, Is V9 available someplace? I'd gladly update, it's a great program. I've used it and 4DOS for 20 years. Going back to the standard COMMAND.COM is really unthinkable. :)

I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

Wanderer

4NT morphed into Take Command. Take Command combines the console-mode prompt of 4NT with a GUI. If you are not interested in the GUI, you may want to try TCC/LE which is just the console-mode prompt.

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:57:49 -0400, Rod Savard <>
was claimed to have wrote:

>4NT morphed into Take Command. Take Command combines the console-mode prompt of 4NT with a GUI. If you are not interested in the GUI, you may want to try TCC/LE which is just the console-mode prompt.

TCC/LE is a bit hobbled... If you want a fully functional environment,
Tack Command itself still has the plain console as well as the GUI.

Hi Rod/Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at them. For the moment, though, the problem seems to have been fixed. I use a desktop shortcut to open it. I did as Dave suggested originally, running 4NT elevated, and then set Compatibility Mode to "Windows Server 2003 (Service Pack 1)" and it seem to be holding now. I think the Compatibility Mode thing removes the block on \Program Files that Rexx mentioned and leaves it open for to the program for the program.

In any case, the registration seems to be holding. We'll just have to see, but for now it all seems to be working. If I run into any problems, I'll have a look at TCC/LE and Take Command.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information! It's much appreciated!

Regards,

- Wanderer

Try using the versions the INI versions. These create a file in the application's directory, which allows it to run under several different versions of Windows as registered (i multi-boot, and still use 8.01 for NT 5.x and earlies, and occasionally 11.0 for NT 6.0 and later.