Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A little startup help from an old CLI guy please.

Jul
I am beginning the odyssey of learning tcmd and tcc.

I used to run 4dos and 4nt where there was a very nice manual
dated 2004 called "4dos 4nt and Take Command Reference Manual".
Is there any updated version available?

I have been reading the TakeCommand.pdf file but it's hard going.
The manual is over 600 pages and no copy/pasting allowed.

I am looking for the startup .ini file.
According to TakeCommand.pdf it should be in the tcmd startup directory (I'm assuming this means the Program Files directory for tcmd) but it is not there.
Secondly the .pdf advises to look at %localappdata% which is not found with cd %localappdata%

The .pdf implies that the .ini file is created when the program is installed but maybe not.

Should I create the startup .ini file with OPTION? Where should it go?

I also want to start an alias file. Perhaps some of my old 4nt aliases will work - it's quite a large file.

Please excuse me for asking novice questions. I am used to Linux for the last 10 years and have to regain my old Windows skills. Luckily tcmd and 4nt seem to have been modeled after bash which is quite familiar to me.

Larry

The full pathname of the .INI file is in the variable %_ININAME, so you can, for example:

Code:
echo %_ininame
list "%_ininame"
notepad "%_ininame"
Most configuration can be done through the OPTION dialog, so there's seldom any need to manually edit the .INI file.

Try echo %_ininame to see at least that file.

Sent from Cookie's iPhone
Jim Cook

On May 23, 2011, at 9:00, larryalk <> wrote:

> I am beginning the odyssey of learning tcmd and tcc.
>
> I used to run 4dos and 4nt where there was a very nice manual
> dated 2004 called "4dos 4nt and Take Command Reference Manual".
> Is there any updated version available?
>
> I have been reading the TakeCommand.pdf file but it's hard going.
> The manual is over 600 pages and no copy/pasting allowed.
>
> I am looking for the startup .ini file.
> According to TakeCommand.pdf it should be in the tcmd startup directory (I'm assuming this means the Program Files directory for tcmd) but it is not there.
> Secondly the .pdf advises to look at %localappdata% which is not found with cd %localappdata%
>
> The .pdf implies that the .ini file is created when the program is installed but maybe not.
>
> Should I create the startup .ini file with OPTION? Where should it go?
>
> I also want to start an alias file. Perhaps some of my old 4nt aliases will work - it's quite a large file.
>
> Please excuse me for asking novice questions. I am used to Linux for the last 10 years and have to regain my old Windows skills. Luckily tcmd and 4nt seem to have been modeled after bash which is quite familiar to me.
>
> Larry
>
>
>
>

The full pathname of the .INI file is in the variable %_ININAME, so you can, for example:

Code:
echo %_ininame
list "%_ininame"
notepad "%_ininame"
Most configuration can be done through the OPTION dialog, so there's seldom any need to manually edit the .INI file.

I've copied it with notepad.
This gives me a good start.
Thanks very much for your help Charles.

Larry

| I used to run 4dos and 4nt where there was a very nice manual
| dated 2004 called "4dos 4nt and Take Command Reference Manual".
| Is there any updated version available?
|
| I have been reading the TakeCommand.pdf file but it's hard going.
| The manual is over 600 pages and no copy/pasting allowed.

That's all there is for printable documentation. The online HELP has tons of crossreferences implemented as hyperlinks.

| I am looking for the startup .ini file.
| According to TakeCommand.pdf it should be in the tcmd startup
| directory (I'm assuming this means the Program Files directory for
| tcmd) but it is not there.
| Secondly the .pdf advises to look at %localappdata% which is not
| found with cd %localappdata%

The full pathname of the .INI file used is available in the TCC internal variable _ININAME - just use the command
"echo %_ININAME"
IIRC the localappdata variable is supplied Windows Vista and Windows 7 only. The directory you are looking for is available as %@SHFOLDER[26].

| The .pdf implies that the .ini file is created when the program is
| installed but maybe not.
|
| Should I create the startup .ini file with OPTION? Where should it go?

See above.

| I also want to start an alias file. Perhaps some of my old 4nt
| aliases will work - it's quite a large file.

Most of them will work. The ones which relate to old, MS-DOS only features will not.

| Please excuse me for asking novice questions. I am used to Linux for
| the last 10 years and have to regain my old Windows skills. Luckily
| tcmd and 4nt seem to have been modeled after bash which is quite
| familiar to me.

Not really. Esp. the term "function" has a very different meaning, more akin to mathematics (and to its use in the BASIC and FORTRAN languages, but not C or C++ usage).
--
HTH, Steve

Try echo %_ininame to see at least that file.

Sent from Cookie's iPhone
Jim Cook

On May 23, 2011, at 9:00, larryalk <> wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Jim.

Using echo %_ininame
the response was
c:\Documents and Settings\lba\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft\TCMD.INI
which is great but I cannot cd to that directory which would be necessary to edit the file.

I'm missing something very basic here.

Larry

Thanks for your suggestion Jim.

Using echo %_ininame
the response was
c:\Documents and Settings\lba\Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft\TCMD.INI
which is great but I cannot cd to that directory which would be necessary to edit the file.

Quotes around the directory name?

(If you use tab completion, the quote marks are provided for you automagically.)

Larry

cd %@path[%_ininame]

Joe

Quotes around the directory name?

(If you use tab completion, the quote marks are provided for you automagically.)

I finally got to the Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft directory!
It seems you can use cmd.exe and specify administrator rights and submit pasword.

I don't know how or if it is possible to run tcmd with administrator rights.

Next I will investigate setting up an alias file in the above JPSOFT directory.

Larry

I used to run 4dos and 4nt where there was a very nice manual dated 2004 called "4dos 4nt and Take Command Reference Manual". Is there any updated version available?

I have been reading the TakeCommand.pdf file but it's hard going.
The manual is over 600 pages and no copy/pasting allowed.
TakeCommand.pdf is the updated version of the manual. And, it does allow copying. The info in the manual is also in the Help.

I finally got to the Local Settings\Application Data\JPSoft directory!
Best to use the Option command rather than editing the ini file. In the old days, I'd edit the ini file, but now I use the Option command.

It seems you can use cmd.exe and specify administrator rights and submit pasword. I don't know how or if it is possible to run tcmd with administrator rights.
You can run TCC as administrator just as you can cmd or any other program. What version of Windows are you using? Windows gives the option when you right-click a shortcut. There is also the /elevated option of the START command.

Next I will investigate setting up an alias file in the above JPSOFT directory.
You don't need to put your aliases in the same directory as the ini file, although you can. You can use Option > Startup to specify where you want to put your TCStart.btm file and use it to load your aliases. Then put something like

alias /r AliasFilename

in your TCStart.btm.

Best to use the Option command rather than editing the ini file. In the old days, I'd edit the ini file, but now I use the Option command.

You can run TCC as administrator just as you can cmd or any other program. What version of Windows are you using? Windows gives the option when you right-click a shortcut. There is also the /elevated option of the START command.

You don't need to put your aliases in the same directory as the ini file, although you can. You can use Option > Startup to specify where you want to put your TCStart.btm file and use it to load your aliases. Then put something like

alias /r AliasFilename

in your TCStart.btm.

Thanks very much David.

I'll try Option although I'm comfortable with editing such files.

My Windows right now is XP but I'll be loading Win 7 Professional in a few days since XP is a little obsolete.

My alias file will probably have to be completely rewritten so the old XP aliases will run under W7.

Larry

Manual editing of tcmd.ini has been discouraged for a long time now

> -----Original Message-----
> From: larryalk
> ---End Quote---
> Thanks very much David.
>
> I'll try Option although I'm comfortable with editing such files.
>
> My Windows right now is XP but I'll be loading Win 7
> Professional in a few days since XP is a little obsolete.
>
> My alias file will probably have to be completely rewritten
> so the old XP aliases will run under W7.