Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

background colours

Jun
Background colours are not working for me. I use TCC only. I set up the palette with OPTION. However, the pallette keeps reverting to primary colours, as do the background and foreground colours I configure in my various shortcuts. Am I simply not using this correctly or is this a bug?

Background colours are not working for me. I use TCC only. I set up the palette with OPTION. However, the pallette keeps reverting to primary colours, as do the background and foreground colours I configure in my various shortcuts. Am I simply not using this correctly or is this a bug?

Neither -- custom color palettes are not supported in TCC/LE, only in the full TCC and in Take Command.

Neither -- custom color palettes are not supported in TCC/LE, only in the full TCC and in Take Command.

I bought the full TCC, but mostly use TCC by itself with *.btm files. I guess I posted in the wrong place.

To control the background colours in TCC, it seems you now must first use the OPTION command to define a palette of custom colours. Then you can click a window and select one of those colours for the background. If you select a colour not on the palette, it will revert to a colour on the palette the next time you open the window. To add to the confusion, sometimes the palette itself reverts to "primary" colours, but I have not determined the conditions under which that happens.

I bought the full TCC, but mostly use TCC by itself with *.btm files. I guess I posted in the wrong place.

Maybe this utility program will help:

Console Palette Changer

It is from 2006, and the author explicitly mentioned that it "also works with 4NT" (i.e. back then), but also that Windows has some quirks about the conditions under which it will start a console window with non-default colors.

Hi;
I'm the author of Console Palette Changer, and I feel obliged to note, however, that with each successive Windows version, it's become harder and harder to get this program to work properly!

The Windows version (console_attr.exe) works with "launch console", but "write palette to registry" only works with cmd.exe, not with tcc/le. The command-line utility (consattr.exe), which was supposed to change the CURRENT console, does not work at all with Win7; I don't know *what* they changed, and I cannot figure out how to fix it. If you can live with "launch console", though, CPC gives you complete control over the console palettes!

Back