Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BBS slow as molasses

May
The BBS is as slow as molasses. Last night I pressed "Reply" and waited about 40 sec. for the composition window ... pressed "Submit" and waited an equal time. This morning, I waited about that long to get to UserCP after logging in and yet another 45 seconds after pressing "Support".

The BBS is as slow as molasses. Last night I pressed "Reply" and waited about 40 sec. for the composition window ... pressed "Submit" and waited an equal time. This morning, I waited about that long to get to UserCP after logging in and yet another 45 seconds after pressing "Support".

... and 85 seconds to "Submit" the post to which I'm replying

and 40 seconds from "Quote" to the composition window.

and ...

It was < 1 second to reply to this message.

Anybody else having a problem?

Clicking on "quote" took a couple seconds to bring up this page. I'll assume my "Submit Reply" is quick and will only bother posting if proven wrong.

It's faster now. Submissions have always been slow (10+ sec.). I'll let you know how long this one takes.

Submit Reply took about 24 seconds.

In replying here, "Quote" was almost instantaneous. Since vBulletin oinly processes mail when someone is on the web (that's low-class) I wonder if "Submit" doesn't return until mail has been sent(?).

In replying here, "Quote" was almost instantaneous. Since vBulletin oinly processes mail when someone is on the web (that's low-class) I wonder if "Submit" doesn't return until mail has been sent(?).

Sure enough! I was reading the post above, with Agent, received by email, before the web "Submit" process finished (40 sec. again).

If I were in charge, I'd be looking for forum software, or a service, that better served my users ... maybe with instantaneous email (really) and NNTP. There's this outfit called Sparklist ... perhaps not perfect, but better than this (by miles).

Sure enough! I was reading the post above, with Agent, received by email, before the web "Submit" process finished (40 sec. again).

If I were in charge, I'd be looking for forum software, or a service, that better served my users ... maybe with instantaneous email (really) and NNTP. There's this outfit called Sparklist ... perhaps not perfect, but better than this (by miles).

The post above ... had it by email in 6 seconds ... waited 52 seconds for the web "Submit" process to finish.

. On Fri 25-Jul-08 7:47am -0600, vefatica wrote:
. > The BBS is as slow as molasses. Last night I pressed "Reply"
. > and waited about 40 sec. for the composition window ... pressed
. > "Submit" and waited an equal time. This morning, I waited
. > about that long to get to UserCP after logging in and yet
. > another 45 seconds after pressing "Support".
. >> ... and 85 seconds to "Submit" the post to which I'm replying
. >>
. >> and 40 seconds from "Quote" to the composition window.
. >>
. >> and ...
It's not so much the speed but the stupidity of the BBS software.
It keep on sticking [some_long_junk] remarks in every subject
line and uses wacky multiple Re:'s (or RE's). For example your
mail had the subject line of:

RE: [Support-t-343] Re: BBS slow as molasses

It should have said:

Re: BBS slow as molasses

It added 20 characters in front of what should have been
included! That's 20 fewer characters allowed in a visible
subject line. That's crazy!!

Also, I need to add dots in from of everything I want to quote so
the BBS software doesn't screw up the quoting :-(

--