Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

c:\program?

May
Removed old versions from (virtual) Vista ... installed the latest TCMD to a new directory and with a desktop shortcut ... double-clicked the desktop shortcut ... the TCMD window showed, but then ... The system cannot find the file specified. "c:\program" ... and the TCMD window closed.

The shortcut has these **quoted** strings:

Target: "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12\tcmd.exe"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12\"

What's up?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 23:44:21 -0400, vefatica <> wrote:

|Removed old versions from (virtual) Vista ... installed the latest TCMD to a new directory and with a desktop shortcut ... double-clicked the desktop shortcut ... the TCMD window showed, but then ... The system cannot find the file specified. "c:\program" ... and the TCMD window closed.
|
|The shortcut has these **quoted** strings:
|
|Target: "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12\tcmd.exe"
|
|Start in: "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12\"
|
|What's up?

OK, I tidied things up. I had a few other problems ... all the result of the
(apparent) default location of TCMD.INI ... in my profile's "Local
Settings\JPSoft". That doesn't seem like a good place for the default,
especially if several versions might use that file (and uninstalling versions
doesn't remove that file).

Isn't there a better default way? ... how about "Local Settings\JPSoft\TCMDxx\"?
Wouldn't that facilitate multiple versions while respecting Microsoft's
recommendations?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 23:44:21 -0400, vefatica <> Isn't there a better default way? ... how about "Local Settings\JPSoft\TCMDxx\"?
recommendations?
Just a suggestion, but I solve this problem by making hard-links in the current version of Take Command/TCC directory to files in the directory where I keep files that are (largely) independent of the current Take Command/TCC version. I can also, of course, if I want/need to rename the versions of these files that were for previous versions of Take Command/TCC that are different from what they would be in the current version and I do not yet, for whatever reason, want to delete (for example, I have installed a "new version: of Take Command/TCC but don't yet want to totally "discard" the old one), and the hard links are independent of the current name of any given file.

Isn't there a better default way? ... how about "Local Settings\JPSoft\TCMDxx\"?
recommendations?

Two problems with that:

1) Less than 1% of TCMD users have multiple versions running.

2) It makes it more difficult to upgrade to a new version, as none of your existing .INI settings will be inherited.