Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cannot make a btm/tcc.exe window wider

Aug
I would like to know how to make a tcc.exe window opened when a btm script is executed wider.

I am writing a btm script that sends the output to a text file, and then I “type” part or all of the text file from within the script while debugging it. The “type” display of the text-file in the tcc.exe window is word-wrapped at the edge of the scroll bar – even if that happens in the middle of a solid word. This also happens if I just ‘echo’ a series of words redirected to a ‘temp.txt’ file. The actual contents of the text file are fine, only their display in the tcc.exe window are affected.

The only command I can find in “Help” related to this is the “window” command. I’ve tried several options and finally settled on “window /POS=20,20,800,1000 /SIZE=800,1000 /max”. This makes the window 800 pixels long (tall), but the width remains the same (about 642 pixels - inside the left border to the scroll bar) as when there is no “windows” command in the script. When I hover the cursor over either side border the enlargement double-arrow appears, but it is ineffective.

My screen resolution is 1152x864, so I can’t understand why it won’t get any wider.
= = = = = =
Also, I recently opened a thread (What is “using” a file) which has been resolved, but the thread is now displayed with an icon that is a red envelope with a white arrow on it. I can’t find anything that explains what that means, nor can I find anything that tells me how to close it or request that it be closed. Would appreciate any help about this too.

| I would like to know how to make a tcc.exe window opened when a btm
| script is executed wider.
I assume you run TCC in its own window, and not in a tab of TCMD. Note
that the "window" is a window into the console buffer, i.e., it is analogous
to putting a piece of paper with a rectangular hole (the window) over a page
of a book (the console buffer). The the window can be smaller than the
console buffer, but it cannot be larger. You can display the current sizes
of both the window and the console buffer by right-clicking on the upper
left corner of the TCC window (or pressing alt-space when the TCC window has
focus), selecting "Properties", and viewing the "Layout" tab. If you make
changes through this mechanism, and you elect to save them for future
windows, Windows saves them by modifying the shortcut (.LNK) file which
started TCC. If TCC was started by another method, you cannot save the
changes. For making changes dynamically, look into the CONSIZE command of
Vince Fatica's plugin 4CONSOLE.DLL. I use it regularly to widen the console
window. It also reports the size of the console buffer.
--
HTH, Steve

selecting "Properties", and viewing the "Layout" tab. If you make
changes through this mechanism, and you elect to save them for future
windows, Windows saves them by modifying the shortcut (.LNK) file which
started TCC. If TCC was started by another method, you cannot save the
changes. For making changes dynamically, look into the CONSIZE command of
Vince Fatica's plugin 4CONSOLE.DLL. I use it regularly to widen the console
window. It also reports the size of the console buffer.
--
HTH, Steve[/QUOTE]

My Thanks for the information. Yes, I am talking about tcc.exe windows independent of the Console, when I double-click a btm file from within my file manager. Your simplistic, but greatly appreciated, explanation of the ‘window’ didn’t explain why my concocted “window …” command DID set the window height, but not the width. Nonetheless, the “Properties” information was very helpful and is what I’ve implemented to just make all windows wider since they’ll be on top anyhow.
I also downloaded the “4console.dll” as you suggested and will investigate using it once I get more comfortable with some of the nuances of TCC and in particular the plug-ins.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:40:03 -0400, newbie <> wrote:

|I also downloaded the “4console.dll” as you suggested and will investigate using it once I get more comfortable with some of the nuances of TCC and in particular the plug-ins.

You didn't say where you got 4CONSOLE. The best places for up-to-date ones are
ftp://lucky.syr.edu/4plugins and ftp://barnyard.syr.edu/pub/vefatica/4plugins.
In fact, not too long ago I fixed (I hope) the CONSIZE command which
occasionally wouldn't work right on a multiple processor machine.

On 20/09/2010 9:18 PM, newbie wrote:

> I would like to know how to make a tcc.exe window opened when a btm script is executed wider.
>
> I am writing a btm script that sends the output to a text file, and then I �type� part or all of the text file from within the script while debugging it. The �type� display of the text-file in the tcc.exe window is word-wrapped at the edge of the scroll bar � even if that happens in the middle of a solid word. This also happens if I just �echo� a series of words redirected to a �temp.txt� file. The actual contents of the text file are fine, only their display in the tcc.exe window are affected.

As an alternative to "type" have you looked at the "list" command?

--
Regards
John McMahon
[email protected]