Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Changing directory with 'cd ~' does not work

Sep
Hi,

I am trying to 'cd' to my desktop dir using 'cd ~\Desktop'. According to the help file, this should work (at least that's how I read it). The issue seems to be the ~, as 'cd ~' fails as well. Am I missing something? Or is it a bug in TCC?
For reference, this is the output I get:
Code:
TCC LE  13.00.21   Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright 2011 JP Software Inc.  Alle Rechte vorbehalten

[ C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCCLE13 ]
> cd ~
TCC: (Sys) Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
 "~"

> echo %HOME
ECHO is OFF

> echo %HOMEDRIVE
C:

> echo %HOMEPATH
\Users\lcg
(The error in the 5th line translates as 'The system can't find the file specified'; it was German even when TCC/LE was set to English)

For the technical details: I am using TCC/LE 13.00.21 32bit on a German locale Windows 7 Professional 64bit. I also tried switching TCC/LE to English to make sure I don't get bitten by some localization issue.

Regards,
lcg

I believe this feature is only meant to be available in the full (paid) Take Command, not in TCC/LE.

That's too bad.

Then I guess the bug report should be for the help file, which doesn't make clear that the feature is not available in TCC/LE. ;)

The help does say it's not available in TCC/LE (in the "What's New" section).

The general rule is that *no* new features will be in TCC/LE, unless they're explicitly mentioned in What's New.

The help does say it's not available in TCC/LE (in the "What's New" section).
I am sorry, I don't want to argue, but I still don't see it.
It lists a few changes marked with an * for "also in TCC/LE". After that, it documents changes for a lot of commands, all without *. One of these is CD with the description of the ~. Now, I could interpret the missing asterisk as "not in TCC/LE"; however, e.g., the syntax for DELAY UNTIL works perfectly in TCC/LE, even though it lacks an *. Maybe I am missing something, I don't know. But anyway, my main point is actually the next one ...

The general rule is that *no* new features will be in TCC/LE, unless they're explicitly mentioned in What's New.
Fair enough.

I think, however, that pointing to "What's New" as the documentation for the differences between TCC and TCC/LE is not a great idea. Once you release v14, the "What's New" of v13 is lost. People might then simply look at the documentation of, e.g., the CD command and expect things like the ~ to work. This will probably cause a lot of unnecessary support requests (like mine, because some people actually read the documentation before bugging developers).

Anyway, thanks for a great cmd.exe replacement, despite my criticism of the help file.

Regards,
lcg

Once you release v14, the "What's New" of v13 is lost.

I have the registered TCMD13.

At the bottom of the "What's New" page, in the help file, there are links to the "What's New" for Take Command 12, 11, and 10.

Joe

I have the registered TCMD13.

At the bottom of the "What's New" page, in the help file, there are links to the "What's New" for Take Command 12, 11, and 10.

Joe
OK, so the history is retained a bit longer than just one version.
I still think that having to dig through 14 "What's New" sections after looking up a command just to see whether it works in TCC/LE is not user-friendly.

Regards,
lcg

DELAY UNTIL will definitely *not* work in TCC/LE.
You are right, of course. When I tested it I did not stare at the screen the whole time. Instead, I worked at something else and when I looked back after some minutes, it had completed without error, so it seemed like it was working.

After some more tests, it appears that TCC/LE silently interprets the command 'DELAY UNTIL 10:05' as 'DELAY 10'. This is much worse, IMO. At least 'CD' gave me an error message so I knew something was wrong when I used an unimplemented feature.

Regards,
lcg

Back