Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done ctrl-D Up arrow

Jun
I have been a customer since the DOS days. There is a feature that never worked properly. I think it should work like this:

1. When you hit Up Arrow at the command line it should show you lines you have previously typed and let you select one. It should show you the line you most recently typed first since you are in a virtual way moving up the screen.

2. If you hit Ctrl-D, that line should be removed from the history. When you hit up arrow in future you should never see it again.

What seems to happen in practice is I get history in either random order or reverse order -- oldest first. Even if that is how it is documented to work, that is a design bug.

Ctrl-D seems to have no effect at all.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:27:11 -0500, Roedy <> wrote:

|I have been a customer since the DOS days. There is a feature that never worked properly. I think it *should *work like this:
|
|1. When you hit Up Arrow at the command line it should show you lines you have previously typed and let you select one. It should show you the line you most recently typed first since you are in a virtual way moving up the screen.
|
|2. If you hit Ctrl-D, that line should be removed from the history. When you hit up arrow in future you should never see it again.
|
|What seems to happen in practice is I get history in either random order or reverse order -- oldest first. Even if that is how it is documented to work, that is a design bug.
|
|Ctrl-D seems to have no effect at all.

Ctrl-D works here (12.01.44) to delete the recalled command currently on the
command liune.

What you get from Up-Arrow depends on how you put commands into the history. See
OPTION\CommandLine\CommandHistory