Getting posts before subscription changes

#1
Is there ANY method other than cut and paste to have messages posted in one
of the fora emailed?

New fora were created and have messages posted BEFORE we ever had a chance
to change the subscriptions to "all instant".

Many of us have selected the "all instant" button. Can this state be
preserved by the NG server, and when new groups are added, propagated until
the subscriber has a chance to decide whether or not to continue? It would
act like the "free trial subscription" from magazines!
--
Steve
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,533
94
#2
Steve Fábián wrote:


> Many of us have selected the "all instant" button. Can this state be
> preserved by the NG server, and when new groups are added, propagated until
> the subscriber has a chance to decide whether or not to continue?
No -- that setting is per user, and there's no way for an administrator
to see it or transfer it to another forum.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,533
94
#3
Steve Fábián wrote:


> New fora were created and have messages posted BEFORE we ever had a chance
> to change the subscriptions to "all instant".
They're the same messages that have been sitting on the Wiki for the
last year or two. If you've read the Wiki there's no need for you to
get everything again. If you didn't care to read them on the Wiki
they're probably not going to interest you in the forum either.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#4
rconn wrote:
| Steve Fábián wrote:
|
|
|
| ---Quote---
|| Many of us have selected the "all instant" button. Can this state be
|| preserved by the NG server, and when new groups are added,
|| propagated until the subscriber has a chance to decide whether or
|| not to continue?
| ---End Quote---
| No -- that setting is per user, and there's no way for an
| administrator
| to see it or transfer it to another forum.

But the administrator, when he creates a new forum, does assign each
registered user a default state for the email interface. That setting should
originate in the individual user profiles, which should have an entry for
the desired setting for new fora.
--
Steve
 
#5
rconn wrote:
| Steve Fábián wrote:
|
|
|
| ---Quote---
|| New fora were created and have messages posted BEFORE we ever had a
|| chance to change the subscriptions to "all instant".
| ---End Quote---
| They're the same messages that have been sitting on the Wiki for the
| last year or two. If you've read the Wiki there's no need for you to
| get everything again. If you didn't care to read them on the Wiki
| they're probably not going to interest you in the forum either.

The major difference is where they are, and how their content can be found.
For me they contain reference information I may never need (maybe I know it
already, maybe they relate to operations I never do), or may need in a hurry
at some future time. As long as they were part of the website's Wiki
section, I could expect to find them whenever I had a need. If they are
downloaded to my own computer as parts of fora, I can search them here. If
they are in one of many fora I had not had a chance to download, they are
virtually inaccessible. Reading fora by browser is for me (and the other
users who download all) a major headache, when compared to what I can do
either in an easily navigable Wiki, or in already downloaded psots. The
latter is esp. valuable when internet connection is not available for
whatever reason.
--
Steve
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,533
94
#6
Steve Fábián wrote:


> | ---Quote---
> || Many of us have selected the "all instant" button. Can this state be
> || preserved by the NG server, and when new groups are added,
> || propagated until the subscriber has a chance to decide whether or
> || not to continue?
> | ---End Quote---
> | No -- that setting is per user, and there's no way for an
> | administrator
> | to see it or transfer it to another forum.
>
> But the administrator, when he creates a new forum, does assign each
> registered user a default state for the email interface.
No, he doesn't.


> That setting should originate in the individual user profiles, which
> should have an entry for the desired setting for new fora.

Since that's not the way it works, I assume you're requesting a change
in the forum software -- but that's out of our control.

As I said, that option is not configurable by the administrator.

Rex Conn
JP Software