Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HELP issues

May
The latest HELP no longer displays the topic information. I find it useful esp. when trying to go directly to a topic that's not the name of a TCC feature, e.g., "help conditionalexpressions". The names are now hidden!

Topic f_execarray should mention that the number of array elements filled is reported in internal variable _execarray.
--
Steve

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:07:18 -0400, Steve Fabian <> wrote:

|The latest HELP no longer displays the topic information. I find it useful esp. when trying to go directly to a topic that's not the name of a TCC feature, e.g., "help conditionalexpressions". The names are now hidden!

That one works for me in build 63.

---- Original Message ----

| On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:07:18 -0400, Steve Fabian <> wrote:
|
|| The latest HELP no longer displays the topic information. I find it
|| useful esp. when trying to go directly to a topic that's not the
|| name of a TCC feature, e.g., "help conditionalexpressions". The
|| names are now hidden!
|
| That one works for me in build 63.

Yes, the command works, but the bottom of the page it displays no longer includes 'Topic "conditionalexpressions.htm" last edited 2008-01-28. ©2010 JP Software, Inc.' (quoted from V11's HELP).
--
Steve

| Yes, the command works, but the bottom of the page it displays no
| longer includes 'Topic "conditionalexpressions.htm" last edited
| 2008-01-28. ©2010 JP Software, Inc.' (quoted from V11's HELP).

BTW, I have no issue with the removal of the list of keywords associated with the topic. I would, however, like the restoration of the "last edited" information. It would be even better if the date could reflect "substance of topic last edited" (cf. spelling corrections), but that would require manual updating of the editing date when desired, a chore more likely to be forgotten than remembered, so the method in previous versions would work fine (any change in content)...
--
Steve

Yes, the command works, but the bottom of the page it displays no longer includes 'Topic "conditionalexpressions.htm" last edited 2008-01-28. ©2010 JP Software, Inc.' (quoted from V11's HELP).

That's no longer supported in the new help compiler.

I *might* be able to kludge up something (albeit at great effort that would be more profitably spent on a dozen more urgent issues), but at this point I really don't think that footer was relevant or useful. (You're the only one who's ever even mentioned it.)

If I get a few dozen complaints from other users I'll revisit the issue.

I've used that when trying to describe issues in the help many times. I
always felt it was more specific than any other way I could have pointed to
the help page.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:01, rconn <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Steve Fabian)---
>
> Yes, the command works, but the bottom of the page it displays no longer
> includes 'Topic "conditionalexpressions.htm" last edited 2008-01-28. ©2010
> JP Software, Inc.' (quoted from V11's HELP).
> ---End Quote---
>
> That's no longer supported in the new help compiler.
>
> I *might* be able to kludge up something (albeit at great effort that would
> be more profitably spent on a dozen more urgent issues), but at this point I
> really don't think that footer was relevant or useful. (You're the only one
> who's ever even mentioned it.)
>
> If I get a few dozen complaints from other users I'll revisit the issue.
>
>
>
>
>

--
Jim Cook
2011 Tuesday: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Wednesday.

| Quote:
| Originally Posted by Steve Fabian
|| Yes, the command works, but the bottom of the page it displays no
|| longer includes 'Topic "conditionalexpressions.htm" last edited
|| 2008-01-28. ©2010 JP Software, Inc.' (quoted from V11's HELP).
|
| That's no longer supported in the new help compiler.

A retrogression?

| I *might* be able to kludge up something (albeit at great effort that
| would be more profitably spent on a dozen more urgent issues), but at
| this point I really don't think that footer was relevant or useful.
| (You're the only one who's ever even mentioned it.)
|
| If I get a few dozen complaints from other users I'll revisit the
| issue.

Lots of "help nit" reports from other users had specified the HELP page they referred to by its topic, obviously obtained from the footnotes. It was a "silently used" feature, never mentioned (by me or anyone else) until it went missing - see Jim Cook's response. I may be the first one to notice its absence (because I wanted to refer to it).

I've used that when trying to describe issues in the help many times. I always felt it was more specific than any other way I could have pointed to the help page.

It's worse than useless to me, as that name is not anywhere in the help file (it's created by the help compiler). So I have to try to decipher what you're referring to and translate it to the actual topic. Sometimes straightborward, sometimes anything but.

It's far simpler for me to find the topic if you just reference the page title.

Lots of "help nit" reports from other users had specified the HELP page they referred to by its topic, obviously obtained from the footnotes. It was a "silently used" feature, never mentioned (by me or anyone else) until it went missing - see Jim Cook's response. I may be the first one to notice its absence (because I wanted to refer to it).

See my response to Jim -- it's NOT a feature from my perspective, as it makes it harder for me to find what you're referring to.

I'm glad this came up, then, since I was trying to make your life easier!

I'll cite the topic name in the future.

Sent from Cookie's iPhone
Jim Cook

On Apr 28, 2011, at 7:06, rconn <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Jim Cook)---
> I've used that when trying to describe issues in the help many times. I always felt it was more specific than any other way I could have pointed to the help page.
> ---End Quote---
>
> It's worse than useless to me, as that name is not anywhere in the help file (it's created by the help compiler). So I have to try to decipher what you're referring to and translate it to the actual topic. Sometimes straightborward, sometimes anything but.
>
> It's far simpler for me to find the topic if you just reference the page title.
>
>
>
>