Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IDE balloon usage tips

May
Normally if you leave the mouse pointer on a word for about a second the balloon usage tip appears. But if, say, the word "TIMER" appears on the first line and I move the mouse pointer up, through that word, into the tab/toolbar/menu area, with the mouse actually on "TIMER" for no more than 1/10 of a second, the tip appears anyway. It would appear that moving the mouse pointer off the edit area does not cancel the timing mechanism for the balloon tip.

Normally if you leave the mouse pointer on a word for about a second the balloon usage tip appears. But if, say, the word "TIMER" appears on the first line and I move the mouse pointer up, through that word, into the tab/toolbar/menu area, with the mouse actually on "TIMER" for no more than 1/10 of a second, the tip appears anyway. It would appear that moving the mouse pointer off the edit area does not cancel the timing mechanism for the balloon tip.

You'll have to bring that up with Microsoft; it's their code.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 22:31:29 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|Normally if you leave the mouse pointer on a word for about a second the balloon usage tip appears. But if, say, the word "TIMER" appears on the first line and I move the mouse pointer up, through that word, into the tab/toolbar/menu area, with the mouse actually on "TIMER" for no more than 1/10 of a second, the tip appears anyway. It would appear that moving the mouse pointer off the edit area does not cancel the timing mechanism for the balloon tip.
|---End Quote---
|
|You'll have to bring that up with Microsoft; it's their code.

I might do that. What collection of API functions is involved?

You'll have to bring that up with Microsoft; it's their code.

Can't you process WM_MOUSEMOVE (at the top edge of the editor's client window by cancelling any balloon timing in progress? ... or add a narrow margin at the top of the edit window so the MS routines will know that the mouse has moved off (above) the first line? To get to the tabs/toolbar/menus, you must move the mouse through the first line (or take a rather circuitous route outside IDE) ... if you just happen to pass through a keyword you get an unintended and annoying balloon.