Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOT!

Aug
A while ago I found myself staring for minutes at a command full of functions that didn't behave like I expected.
And this time I was confident that the command was right ... (that doesn't happen very often)
This had to be a bug!

After a break I finally saw the "!" I overlooked all this time in an %@EVAL function.

That led to this function:
Code:
function NOT=`%@eval[!%$]`

Not very complicated, but "%@NOT[....]" is harder to overlook than "!"

A while ago I found myself staring for minutes at a command full of functions that didn't behave like I expected.
And this time I was confident that the command was right ... (that doesn't happen very often)
This had to be a bug!

After a break I finally saw the "!" I overlooked all this time in an %@EVAL function.

That led to this function:
Code:
function NOT=`%@eval[!%$]`

Not very complicated, but "%@NOT[....]" is harder to overlook than "!"

It's very common to overlook simple mistakes or typos in programming. My problem is that my "break" ends on the next day. :(

Life would have been easier had early ASCII added the ¬ symbol and had it been adopted by the creators of C instead of putting ! in its place, wouldn't have it?

Hey ... in WordPerfect I wrote a macro that replaces "smart" quotes and "smart" apostrophes with ASCII ones. Because they look artistic, but open the document in a different wordprocessor or copy and paste text to an HTML editing program, and you get all kinds of garbage because there is no standard code. So your pretty smart quotes that look fine in every Office program come out like junk when you convert to PDF or use some other non-MS program.

And it's definitely not an MS issue. Enter "smart" quotes in a non-MS program and then port to a different program, and the same problem arises.

Back