Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

.PIF details ?

Take Command 8.02.106 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Take Command Build 106 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3
Registered to Charles S. Galloway - 5 System License

I am trying to figure out how to get the contents of the .PIFs and I see the SHORTCUT command does - at least from the DOCs.

[C:\SOMEWHERE\>] shortcut 4DOS.pif
CommandArgumentsDirectory=C:\PROGRA~1\JPSOFT\4DOS
Description=4DOS
Link=4DOS.pif
Icon=C:\PROGRA~1\JPSOFT\4DOS\4DOS.ICO
Offset=0
Mode=3
Hotkey
but yet it doesn't tell me the command that is run; But right clicking the file in Windows Explorer will show:

Command : C:\PROGRA~1\JPSOFT\4DOS\4DOS.COM
Working dir: C:\PROGRA~1\JPSOFT\4DOS

... among other details. How can I get more information on the PIFs - using TCMD / TCC ?

.PIF and .LNK files are analyzed by the SHORTCUT command identically. The information is essentially the same as that available from using the "Properties" display of Windows Explorer. The difference is in the presentation.

Windows Explorer SHORTCUT
Target split into "Command" and "Arguments"
Start in directory
Comment description
Shortcut key hotkey

WE presents the icon information only when "Change Icon" is selected, and icon offset is implicit when the file contains multiple icons.
WE provides only part of the "Link" information, the file name portion. Whether it is in the "allusers" desktop or the desktop of the "current user" can only be inferred from the shortcut icon's screen position. Cf. SHORTCUT - it always provides the extension, and if the shortcut file is not in _CWD also its full path.
--
HTH, Steve

That is why in my OP I showed the result of the SHORTCUT command on an old 4dos.pif. I just don't know why SHORTCUT had the command and arguments fields empty. They showed in WE.
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 07:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-2501] .PIF details ?

.PIF and .LNK files are analyzed by the SHORTCUT command identically. The information is essentially the same as that available from using the "Properties" display of Windows Explorer. The difference is in the presentation.

Windows Explorer SHORTCUT
Target split into "Command" and "Arguments"
Start in directory
Comment description
Shortcut key hotkey

WE presents the icon information only when "Change Icon" is selected, and icon offset is implicit when the file contains multiple icons.
WE provides only part of the "Link" information, the file name portion. Whether it is in the "allusers" desktop or the desktop of the "current user" can only be inferred from the shortcut icon's screen position. Cf. SHORTCUT - it always provides the extension, and if the shortcut file is not in _CWD also its full path.
--
HTH, Steve

It would just be nice to know what the linked file was before I delete the PIFs - hence my use of SHORTCUT....
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 08:10 AM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-2501] Re: .PIF details ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
of the .PIFs and I see the SHORTCUT command does - at least from the DOCs.

Unless you're using Windows 98, .PIFs have been obsolete for many years -- you should be looking at the .LNK files.

TCC uses a Windows API to get the contents, so I don't think that's going to help you (unless you want to write a plugin).

Back