Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Pipe only stderr....

Sep
(No, not stdout AND stderr)...

This is a pipe dream... even the *nix shells don't seem to have it.

Too many console apps want to use curses or other random ass code that can't handle stdout being redirected - yet provide data on stderr.

I wish I could pipe ONLY stderr. Or (even better for my usage) capture only stderr to a variable with some new param-kludge to %@exec*.

I have no real suggestion on the syntax since |&| looks kind of crazy - but... I guess it would be unambiguous.

Yes - I can work around this safely (albeit unpleasantly) if there was FILETEMP from my other message.

And yes - I know the world has lived with hacking it's own "%TEMP/__FOO_%RANDOM" in windows for decades... so.. yeah... I guess I will too for now.

I think you can pipe stderr only. First send stdout somewhere (CON:, file, NUL). Then send stderr to stdout (2>&1). Then pipe. At least that's what I think is happening below.

Code:
v:\> (((echo foo & echoerr bar^r^nfly) 1>con:) 2>&1) | grep bar
foo
bar

v:\> (((echo foo & echoerr bar^r^nfly) 1>stdout.txt) 2>&1) | grep bar
bar

v:\> type stdout.txt
foo

I think you can pipe stderr only. First send stdout somewhere (CON:, file, NUL). Then send stderr to stdout (2>&1). Then pipe. At least that's what I think is happening below.
Note from original: Too many console apps want to use curses or other random ass code that can't handle stdout being redirected - yet provide data on stderr.

emacs or dialog for example will fall over and die even redirecting stdout to con: :(

Code:
0:00:00.002
[C:\temp]
14:56:13 $ (echo stdtest & echoerr errtest) 2>CLIP: & set var=%@CLIP[]
stdtest

0:00:00.017
[C:\temp]
14:56:22 $ echo %var
errtest

EDIT: Yes, I know it's a redirect and not a pipe.

Back