Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with tab (next file) key in TCC64

Jul
I'm running the latest version of TCC 11.00.44 64-bit under Win7 and I've encountered a problem that I have never seen before (and I've been a registered users since the early days of 4DOS). If I type in one or more characters in the tcc console window and hit the TAB or F9 key and there are no files in the current directory that start with the characters I typed, the command line freezes and the only option is to close the tcc window.

For example, if I type in "xyz" and hit tab, and there are no files in the directory matching "xyz*" it freezes. If I run the 32-bit version on the same machine with the same options and aliases, I do NOT get the same behavior. The window allows me to continue editing the command line.

I suspect the problem may be that the command line wants to "beep" when the expansion fails, and the normal beep isn't supported in 64-bit windows. If I try to use the beep command, I get the same lockup, which suggests that TCC's directsound implementation of beep may have a bug.

Niwotian60 wrote:

> I'm running the latest version of TCC 11.00.44 64-bit under Win7 and I've encountered a problem that I have never seen before (and I've been a registered users since the early days of 4DOS). If I type in one or more characters in the tcc console window and hit the TAB or F9 key and there are no files in the current directory that start with the characters I typed, the command line freezes and the only option is to close the tcc window.
>
> For example, if I type in "xyz" and hit tab, and there are no files in the directory matching "xyz*" it freezes. If I run the 32-bit version on the same machine with the same options and aliases, I do NOT get the same behavior. The window allows me to continue editing the command line.
>
> I suspect the problem may be that the command line wants to "beep" when the expansion fails, and the normal beep isn't supported in 64-bit windows. If I try to use the beep command, I get the same lockup, which suggests that TCC's directsound implementation of beep may have a bug.
>
I cannot reproduce your result (running under the same conditions). File
completion generates a beep, and the beep command works fine.

TCC 11.00.44 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
TCC Build 44 Windows 7 Build 7600

-- Jay

Niwotian60 wrote:

I cannot reproduce your result (running under the same conditions). File
completion generates a beep, and the beep command works fine.

TCC 11.00.44 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
TCC Build 44 Windows 7 Build 7600

-- Jay

Thanks, Jay. I uninstalled and then reinstalled TC/TCC and I am no longer seeing the problem, and beep is also working. I kept my existing aliases and changed the options to my preferred options without issue, so I'm guessing either a glitch in my system or something didn't go right with my latest TCC patch update. Sorry for the false alarm.