Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Responding to a problem for me that I totally do not understand

May
E. S. Fabian wrote:
| I tried to post by email the response below, but was rejected with a
| "thread not available" response.
|
| mathewsdw wrote:
|| I have a fairly simple .btm file:
||
||
|| Code:
|| @Echo Off
|| PDir /A-D /S ^
|| "%@UnQuote[%1]" "%@UnQuote[%2]" "%@UnQuote[%3]" ^
|| /(dy/m/d th:m:s -64.64fn fp) | ^
|| Sort /+1
|| Whose intent, as you can probably easily see, is to produce a
|| listing of various files whose names match any one of up to 3
|| patterns sorted by date (year first, of course), time, and name.
||
|| Here is a sample invocation of said batch file:
||
||
|| Code:
|| [Z:\]xdir *.txt *.7z >Z:\XDirFileList.txtHere is the beginning part
|| of the output of the above command:
|| As you can easily see,
|| the files are displayed and sorted by month first (not year!) and the
|| files' paths are not listed at all (and that is not an artifact of
|| this web sotware)!!! What could I possibly be doing wrong???
|
| I suspect that the issue is the placement of the "field list" in the
| command, it is supposed to be BEFORE the list of filenames. I would
| try this:
|
| @Echo Off
| PDir /A-D /S ^
| /(dy/m/d th:m:s -64.64fn fp) ^
| "%@UnQuote[%1]" "%@UnQuote[%2]" "%@UnQuote[%3]" ^
|| Sort /+1
|
| BTW, on my system I set Windows to use ISO date and time format...

E. S. Fabian wrote:
| I tried to post by email the response below, but was rejected with a
| "thread not available" response.
Steve, I'm sorry that happened but it's just that you were too quick for me. I deleted the thread because I figured out that that was the problem myself very shortly after I submitted it. (This was a simply matter of "misplaced expectations"; in the C++ programs that I write I am a stickler about the order and placement of keyword (i.e., non-positional) parameters being completely and totally irrelevant. (And the only "positional" parameters that I use are the completely "obvious" and/or "traditional" ones, such as the source and destination in a "copy" command. I will all also add that all non-trivial programs that I write have a built-in, comprehensive, "help" system to completely explain all aspects of the program as best I can.) In fact, since I generally use one common parameter-driven subroutine for all command-line parsing, at this point in time that fact is set in stone, so to speak. But this should not be taken as a criticism of whatever other people do/don't do in their command-line programs...)

|
| Steve, I'm sorry that happened but it's just that you were too quick
| for me. I deleted the thread because I figured out that that was the
| problem myself very shortly after I submitted it.

Many of us do not browse the forum. Instead we have each post delivered as email. The posts made prior to thread deletion are delivered anyway. There is no way for us to know that the issue was already solved without a short new post, something like "Never mind, syntax error already fixed". Deleting the thread is just confusing. Please note that it is possible to read and write email in environments that do not support browsing, or where browsing is much more expensive than email handling, in time (due to bandwidth limitations) or in money (being billed for internet access by the kilobyte on some mobile phone plans).
--
Steve

Many of us do not browse the forum. Instead we have each post delivered as email. The posts made prior to thread deletion are delivered anyway. There is no way for us to know that the issue was already solved without a short new post, something like "Never mind, syntax error already fixed". Deleting the thread is just confusing. Please note that it is possible to read and write email in environments that do not support browsing, or where browsing is much more expensive than email handling, in time (due to bandwidth limitations) or in money (being billed for internet access by the kilobyte on some mobile phone plans).
===
Steve
Steve, I'm sorry, but I literally had no idea whatsoever that that was the case. (And that relates to the fact that, for a whole host of reasons, many related to my disabilities, I could not possibly function in such a manner!) But now that I do know, I'll at least try to keep that in mind. (Although maybe it would be better if the bulletin-board software did not make that such a prominent, at least, option. As I've noted before, my bad memory is not a joke and is not funny....)