Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Running Elevated

Jul
Is there a way to have TCC run with Admin privileges when run either from the Quick Launch bar and/or from a context menu?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Is there a way to have TCC run with Admin privileges when run either from the Quick Launch bar and/or from a context menu?

Shortcuts have a setting that can be changed to make any program run with elevated privileges.

If by context menu you mean the context menu of the shortcut, then there should be a run as option there already.

If by context menu you mean the context menu of a drive, folder or file that is associated with TCC, then I am unaware of a way to do this.

However, if you run Take Command with elevated privileges, then all processes launched by it should inherit the same privileges. Which is why I have a scheduled task that runs Take Command automatically with elevated privileges after I log on. I then leave it running and launch new tabs via the same Take Command window and have single instance option turned on. This works quite well on Vista and Server 2008, and is of course unnecessary on XP and 2003 unless logged in as a limited user.

- Josh

CWBillow wrote:

> Is there a way to have TCC run with Admin privileges when run either
> from the Quick Launch bar and/or from a context menu?

It's unrelated to TCC (which like every other Windows app can't control
its startup privileges).

In Vista you can right click on the quick launch icon and select "Run as
administrator".

Rex Conn
JP Software

Shortcuts have a setting that can be changed to make any program run with elevated privileges.

If by context menu you mean the context menu of the shortcut, then there should be a run as option there already.

If by context menu you mean the context menu of a drive, folder or file that is associated with TCC, then I am unaware of a way to do this.

However, if you run Take Command with elevated privileges, then all processes launched by it should inherit the same privileges. Which is why I have a scheduled task that runs Take Command automatically with elevated privileges after I log on. I then leave it running and launch new tabs via the same Take Command window and have single instance option turned on. This works quite well on Vista and Server 2008, and is of course unnecessary on XP and 2003 unless logged in as a limited user.

- Josh

Josh:
>>
Which is why I have a scheduled task that runs Take Command automatically with elevated privileges after I log on
<<

Great idea.

Thanks,
Chuck Billow

CWBillow wrote:

It's unrelated to TCC (which like every other Windows app can't control
its startup privileges).

In Vista you can right click on the quick launch icon and select "Run as
administrator".

Rex Conn
JP Software

OK, thanks Rex.