Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

saving cmd and dir history - 12.00.27

Aug
Installed the beta.

changed the config by providing files cmdhist.txt & dirhist.txt

Started changing dirs to test 'save directory on entry' been wanting that for years!

exit

start tcmd

ctrl Pg-up = beep. No history.

Pg-up = beep, no history.

The problem. Without specifying an absolute path, the files are stored under c:\program files. No good on Vista or higher unless you run as admin.

How about defaulting to:

"c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\JPSoft"

That's where the .ini file defaults to.
</username>

Installed the beta.

changed the config by providing files cmdhist.txt & dirhist.txt

exit
start tcmd

ctrl Pg-up = beep. No history.

Pg-up = beep, no history.

The problem. Without specifying an absolute path, the files are stored under c:\program files. No good on Vista or higher unless you run as admin.

How about defaulting to:

"c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\JPSoft"

That's where the .ini file defaults to.
</USERNAME>

WAD. (These are not new options; they're in v11, so changing it in v12 will potentially break a lot of existing configurations.)

If you don't specify a path (always a bad idea!), the files are stored in the current directory (when saved) and retrieved from the startup directory (when read). Forcing them to the appdata directory would break configurations where people install to someplace other than "c:\program files" (quite a lot of users).

I agree. As it stands now though, the default behavior (for a new/novice user) is to not work - in the example I gave. If I look closely, I can see (on exit) TC trying to do the save and the 'access denied' messages. Most users would not even know to look for that and just wonder why it doesn't work.

Displaying the path somewhere in the dialog would probably be more work than it's worth. Perhaps stressing in the help that an absolute path should always be used might help.

"History File : Load the specified history list file before running TCSTART, and save the command history to the file after running TCEXIT." Note: It's best to supply a full path\file specification here to ensure that the file is being saved to a location that TC has write access to.