Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

signaling firstcondition and cannot change colors

Oct
I'm having problems with 13.x, currently 13.00.26.

1) This was mentioned in the forum earlier this year, but I don't see how it resolves this situation -

When running batch files, by using F7 and then selecting from a list of batch files, there's a series of

signaling finishcondition
start request

. If I do the same thing with 12.x, no problem at all. It runs normally.

2) This happens with both 12.x and 13.x - I can't change colors. After running Option or selecting Option from the menu, and changing the Background or Foreground colors, then Applying and Oking, nothing changes. When I go back in, the background & foreground colors are still set to default.

Is anyone having similar problems like these?

I'm having problems with 13.x, currently 13.00.26.

1) This was mentioned in the forum earlier this year, but I don't see how it resolves this situation -

When running batch files, by using F7 and then selecting from a list of batch files, there's a series of

start request

. If I do the same thing with 12.x, no problem at all. It runs normally.

I don't know what you're referring to here -- there isn't anything in TCC that displays either of those strings.

I need to know *exactly* what you're doing, including the contents of any batch files you're running.

2) This happens with both 12.x and 13.x - I can't change colors. After running Option or selecting Option from the menu, and changing the Background or Foreground colors, then Applying and Oking, nothing changes. When I go back in, the background & foreground colors are still set to default.

It sounds like your TCMD.INI file isn't being updated. Where is TCMD.INI located (the full pathname will be displayed in the OPTION title bar)? If you're using a non-standard location for TCMD.INI, you may run into the Windows 7 restriction of not allowing file updates (in the root directory, or in any of the "\program files" subdirectories).

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:46:28 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|signaling finishcondition
|start request
|
|. If I do the same thing with 12.x, no problem at all. It runs normally.

|
|I don't know what you're referring to here -- there isn't anything in TCC that displays either of those strings.

I never saw those messages before, but I easliy found mention of their being
generated by shell scripts in PowerShell.

http://mcpmag.com/articles/2011/01/18/where-shell-we-begin.aspx

They were also mentioned by Jim Cook in

http://jpsoft.com/forums/support/2542-right-click-issue.html

>>I don't know what you're referring to here -- there isn't anything in TCC that displays either of those strings.<<

I didn't say that TCC displays it. This is a symptom that is taking place, but only when running TCMD13.

>>I need to know *exactly* what you're doing, including the contents of any batch files you're running.<<

The contents don't really matter. It happens prior to the execution.

In other words, if there's a list of any files, .txt or .bat or whatever, and I type *.txt then press F7, then that list of

start request

statements occur. I just tried it again now, but this time didn't type anything, and just press F7. The list came up, and at the same time those statements were displayed on the screen.

This happens only in 13.x

>>It sounds like your TCMD.INI file isn't being updated. Where is TCMD.INI located (the full pathname will be displayed in the OPTION title bar)? If you're using a non-standard location for TCMD.INI, you may run into the Windows 7 restriction of not allowing file updates (in the root directory, or in any of the "\program files" subdirectories).<<

Well, the location of the program itself is non-standard. It's in C:\TCMD13, not in Program Files. The TCMD.INI, in previous versions from years ago, was the same folder. For version 13, the install procedure placed it in

c:\users\<person>\appdata\Local\JPSoft

It looks like it gets updated, based on the date & time of the file. But the colors keep defaulting back.

I wouldn't mind re-trying it, with tcmd.ini in the same folder as the app, C:\TCMD13. How do you change the default location of TCMD.INI?

Yep, thanks Vince. Saw that earlier, with a google search, but didn't see how it applied to this situation.

It might be relevant, but the connection is not obvious.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:50:31 -0400, TCFan <> wrote:

|Yep, thanks Vince. Saw that earlier, with a google search, but didn't see how it applied to this situation.
|
|It might be relevant, but the connection is not obvious.

In one post, it seemed to be an (unfortunate) artifact of some 64-bit shell
function.

TCFan, are you using 64-bit Windows?

In other words, if there's a list of any files, .txt or .bat or whatever, and I type *.txt then press F7, then that list of

start request

statements occur. I just tried it again now, but this time didn't type anything, and just press F7. The list came up, and at the same time those statements were displayed on the screen.

TCC definitely isn't doing that. You need to find what other apps you're running that are injecting a dll into TCC's process and displaying that message.

The one other time that message was reported here, it turned out to be Sugar Sync (SugarSyncShellExt.dll) that was injected into TCC and printing the message. (Albeit in that case it was on a right-click.)

You can run Process Explorer to see what dll's are in the TCC process.

It looks like it gets updated, based on the date & time of the file. But the colors keep defaulting back.

I presume you're selecting OPTION / Windows / Output Foreground (and Background)", and then clicking on OK.

Look in TCMD.INI and see if the StdColors directive is being changed.

I wouldn't mind re-trying it, with tcmd.ini in the same folder as the app, C:\TCMD13. How do you change the default location of TCMD.INI?

Look at "Take Command Startup Options" in the help.

Sorry for anyone who has similar problems now or in the future; forgot to update, with my resolution.

For the color problem, the changes wouldn't save, whether the tcmd.ini was in the same folder as tcmd, or in the default folder. The resolution was to take a tcmd.ini from a previous version with the right color scheme, and overwrite the tcmd 13 version. Works fine, now.

Regarding the strange displays when hitting F7, I checked the hooked DLLs, per RConn's instructions, but could not figure out which process was causing the display. Resolution is to use 12.x on that PC, until 14 comes out, or until I can figure out what the dilly yo. If for some reason 13 is absolutely necessary (unlikely), use the portable version.

I'm sure the cause will become clear, while in the middle of doing something else; but meantime, the PC won't be deprived of Tcmd.

Thanks for the assistance & suggestions, RConn & Vefatica.

Regards,