Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tab button to launch as different user

May
TCC 9.02.154 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Is there a way to configure a toolbar to launch a new tab running TCC (for example, could be any command line tool) using a different user? Basically I want to do the same as the "Launch as Administrator (Vista)" option, but in Windows XP.

I run as a limited user under Windows XP and occasionally it is necessary or useful to have a command line launched using the administrator account. That way I can avoid having to log out completely and log back in as the administrator. I can run a standalone console via the right-click "Run as ..." option, and I can launch other applications using the "runas" command line option. If I try using "runas" on a tab, it first creates a new tab where it prompts me for my password, and then it launches TCC in a separate window.

The command I used for the tab:
runas /noprofile /env /user:admin d:\jpsoft\tcmd9\tcc

I tried making a startup tab to do this, but when I tried to launch TCmd, it said "Unable to attach console" (or something like that). If I launch a stand-alone command shell as my administrator user, I am unable to attach to it either.

I suspect from all of this that it is a limitation of Windows when running as a limited user, but I thought I'd check.

Tab button

mtotman wrote:

> TCC 9.02.154 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> Is there a way to configure a toolbar to launch a new tab running
> TCC (for example, could be any command line tool) using a different
> user? Basically I want to do the same as the "Launch as
> Administrator (Vista)" option, but in Windows XP.

No -- Windows does not allow this.

Rex Conn
JP Software