Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Tabbed Toolbar" doesn't seem to work

Jun
Or I don't understand it... I'm running 12.00.35.

I didn't actually see "Tabbed Toolbar" by name in the help. But, presumably it is obvious to use right? Well, not for me. I can show it, and right click on it. And it gives me options to add tabs or buttons.

If I click "add tab", well, indeed, it sticks a tab on the toolbar. It doesn't do a dang that I can tell, but there is a tab there all right.

So, maybe better luck with "add button"? Okay, do that, and I get a "Tool bar button" dialog. With even a help button. Sounds great! The help says I need to have either icon or label set, and presumably a command. So, I set the command and icon to tcc.exe and hit okay, and nothing. No tab shows up on the toolbar.

So, what is the secret key to the kingdom or what don't I understand?

And in that vain, the File->New tab menu option seems to be only able to open one kind of tab -- the one comspec as defined in the "Tabs" configuration of TCMD. Is there a way to have in the file menu something like File->New TCC and File->New CMD, etc?

In the Help Index, select "Tool Bar", then "Tool Bars". Or, in the Help Contents, select Take Command > The Take Command Interface > The Take Command Window > Tool Bars.

Thanks. It should get added to the index.

And, today, the buttons I add are indeed getting added to the toolbar. But, I think I know why I thought it wasn't working yesterday. The docs say that if I pick an EXE file for the icon, it should take the first icon in the EXE. So, if I make a TCC button, and point the icon to tcc.exe, it should get the icon from tcc.exe. It doesn't. If I do that, I create an invisible button, a button that you can't see is on the toolbar unless I hover over it, then it shows an outline and I can see a button.

So, this seems to me that there is a bug in there, unless I'm again not understanding something.

I'd also like to be able to make a TCC run as administrator button. I don't seem to be able to do that. Is there a way to do that? I see that for the primary comspec, I can make it run as adminsitrator, but, I don't want to make the primary comspec to do so.

Hadn't heard yet from Rex on this. But I found out a bit more. If I make a button for CMD.EXE, and tell it to use the CMD.EXE file for the icon file, it works and the button has the CMD icon. But, if I make a button for TCC using TCC.EXE for the icon file, the button has no icon and is invisible unless you hover over it. I tried the 64 bit version of TCMD/TCC as well, with the same results.

Also, I'd like to be able to have a run as administrator. Which I don't see any option to do that. Am I missing it?

In fact, I'd prefer that right clicking on the button gave a more normal right-click menu with options to run as administrator and properties. Right now, right clicking takes you straight to properties. So, my suggestion would mean that to get to properties is one more click. But, I figure that once I set my buttons up, I really won't that often be going to the properties. So to me, this would be a good tradeoff.

rconn:
| Speedie6:
|| Also, I'd like to be able to have a run as administrator. Which I
|| don't see any option to do that. Am I missing it?
|
| No, but Windows is. It is not possible to do this in Windows.

Typical - a PC is no longer a PERSONAL COMPUTER according to Microsoft.
--
Steve

How do tools like Process Explorer do it? Isn't it just a priority thing?
I realize you cannot elevate a running process but I thought those tools
just relaunched themselves using the new priority and closed the old
process.

Of course there are also issues with TCMD and TCC running at different
priorities. If I launch TCMD as an administrator, then it in turn
launches everything in that same security context. I cannot have a
normal TCMD and an elevated TCC running within it. Or visa-versa which
kinda sucks. And I realize this is a Windows limitation not a JPSoft
limitation.

It would still be nice to be able to launch an elevated TCC from with TCMD
that runs stand-alone.

-Scott

rconn <> wrote on 11/11/2010 10:15:27 PM:

> ---Quote (Originally by Speedie6)---
>
> Also, I'd like to be able to have a run as administrator. Which I
> don't see any option to do that. Am I missing it?
> ---End Quote---
>
> No, but Windows is. It is not possible to do this in Windows.
>
>
>
>

I also noticed that I had an elevated TCC pane, and then tried to click on
Tabs / Attach Tabs ... which did not list my elevated tab. I figured it was
Windows doing it. Also, that Rex will say there is no way around it for a
while, then find a magic work around :)

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:27, samintz <> wrote:

> How do tools like Process Explorer do it? Isn't it just a priority thing?
> I realize you cannot elevate a running process but I thought those tools
> just relaunched themselves using the new priority and closed the old
> process.
>
> Of course there are also issues with TCMD and TCC running at different
> priorities. If I launch TCMD as an administrator, then it in turn
> launches everything in that same security context. I cannot have a
> normal TCMD and an elevated TCC running within it. Or visa-versa which
> kinda sucks. And I realize this is a Windows limitation not a JPSoft
> limitation.
>
> It would still be nice to be able to launch an elevated TCC from with TCMD
> that runs stand-alone.
>
> -Scott
>
> rconn <> wrote on 11/11/2010 10:15:27 PM:
>
>
>
> ---Quote---
> > ---Quote (Originally by Speedie6)---
> >
> > Also, I'd like to be able to have a run as administrator. Which I
> > don't see any option to do that. Am I missing it?
> > ---End Quote---
> >
> > No, but Windows is. It is not possible to do this in Windows.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> ---End Quote---
>
>
>
>

--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.

No, but Windows is. It is not possible to do this in Windows.

This doesn't make sense to me, given that for the startup tabs, the help specifically says:

"If you're running Windows Vista or later, you can opt to Run as Administrator to start the program with admin privileges. (This option will invoke the Windows UAC dialog)"

How can it be that you can make startup tabs run as administrator, but not optionally make additional tabs run as administrator.

This doesn't make sense to me, given that for the startup tabs, the help specifically says:

"If you're running Windows Vista or later, you can opt to Run as Administrator to start the program with admin privileges. (This option will invoke the Windows UAC dialog)"

How can it be that you can make startup tabs run as administrator, but not optionally make additional tabs run as administrator.

The help is wrong. It was (briefly) possible to do this in Vista, but Microsoft decided this was a grievous security breach (probably rightly), and plugged it. It never worked in Windows 7.

I also noticed that I had an elevated TCC pane, and then tried to click on Tabs / Attach Tabs ... which did not list my elevated tab. I figured it was Windows doing it. Also, that Rex will say there is no way around it for a while, then find a magic work around :)

I've tried, but this is well and truly impossible.

(If I did find a workaround, it would prove that there is no process / session security in Windows, and Ballmer would have to kill me.)

Boy, you're good....

-Scott

rconn <> wrote on 11/12/2010 05:08:53 PM:

> ---Quote (Originally by samintz)---
> It would still be nice to be able to launch an elevated TCC from
> with TCMD that runs stand-alone.
> ---End Quote---
>
> No problem.
>
> SHAZAM!
>
> start /elevated
>
>
>
>

The help is wrong. It was (briefly) possible to do this in Vista, but Microsoft decided this was a grievous security breach (probably rightly), and plugged it. It never worked in Windows 7.

Okay, that explains it. Hopefully you will update the help. Another nit for the help is that "Tabbed Toolbar" isn't in the index.

Still hadn't hears anything about why buttons for TCC.EXE don't get an icon. I tried both 32 bit and 64 bit.