Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TC not visible after Shell restarts

Dec
In Windows 7 64-bit (not tried elsewhere) if the Windows Explorer shell crashes and then restarts, TC is not visible anymore, either in Taskbar or in the Notification area. It is still running, because I can see it if I launch Taskmanager. And is apparently not crashed because all attached consoles are running. I use to launch Cygwin and attach it to a TC tab and I can notice its actvity even though I have no access to TC anymore.
This appears to be a bug. When the Shell crashes and restarts all processes reappear in the taskbar or in the notification area, except TC

In Windows 7 64-bit (not tried elsewhere) if the Windows Explorer shell crashes and then restarts, TC is not visible anymore, either in Taskbar or in the Notification area. It is still running, because I can see it if I launch Taskmanager. And is apparently not crashed because all attached consoles are running. I use to launch Cygwin and attach it to a TC tab and I can notice its actvity even though I have no access to TC anymore.
This appears to be a bug. When the Shell crashes and restarts all processes reappear in the taskbar or in the notification area, except TC

I cannot imagine any way this could be a TCMD issue.

I haven't been able to generate an Explorer crash in Windows 7 to see what happens -- how did you do it?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:28:40 -0500, rconn <> wrote:

|I haven't been able to generate an Explorer crash in Windows 7 to see what happens -- how did you do it?

I can send INJECT.EXE (syntax: inject pid dll) that will inject any dll into any
process (i.e., get the process to LoadLibrary). If you write a trivial dll that
does something nasty in DllMain I'm confident you could get Explorer to crash.
--
- Vince

An easier way to reproduce the problem:

1) Launch TCMD and minimize it to the notification area.
2) Run taskmgr.exe and end all Explorer.exe processes
3) From taskmgr, File/New Task (Run) write Explorer.exe then OK to start a new shell
4) Unlike all other processes, TCMD is not visible anymore.