Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

typing keyboard input to two tabs at once, possible?

Hi everyone, it's been long since I was here, I confess.
I'm looking for a way to type input to two tabs at once. Each tab is running the same application, a console-based text file search.
So when I type 'a' it's sent to both consoles, which consume it, 'b' to both which consume it, and so on. This includes all keys and key combos that Windows can type, such as Backspace, arrows, Alt/Ctrl/Shifted keys, etc.
I would like to use Take Command, so I can put each console in its own tab, possible add a third tab to manage keyboard input, and view all three tabs as a vertical group.
Does anyone know if there's a way to do all this in "vanilla" :) Take Command or do I need to add plugins?
If Take Command can't do this, can anyone suggest other Windows apps that can do it?
Thank you in advance.

If Take Command can't do this, can anyone suggest other Windows apps that can do it?

1519915255333.png

JohnQSmith ... have you used that thing? I suppose that, to satisfy the OP, it would have to be able to connect to the localhost multiple times, simultaneously, and that the localhost would have to be using TCC as shell.

JohnQSmith ... have you used that thing?

I have used it. It's really handy for when you connect to several servers and are wanting to run the same commands on them.

Just tried a test by opening 4 CMD windows and started TCC in each. Works great. See attached animated GIF.

Attachments

• multi-demo.gif
    multi-demo.gif
    233.8 KB · Views: 590
Were all four of them on the local host? If so, do you have to actually "connect", or is there a "local" mode? Are you stuck starting with CMD?

Were all four of them on the local host? If so, do you have to actually "connect", or is there a "local" mode?
Yes, they were all local host ("local terminal"). Those were all views of different directories on my local C: drive.
Are you stuck starting with CMD?
The local shells have CMD, PowerShell, BASH (using Moba's built in Cygwin/busybox), and Ubuntu Bash (WSL). I haven't figured out how to tell it to call other specific shells (like TCC) yet, but I just started looking at it to do that; usually I use it to SSH to Linux boxes.
P.S., Cool gif!
Thanks! http://www.screentogif.com/

TCMD did have this capability at one point, but I decided to remove it because the beta testers were continually blowing themselves up using it inappropriately. (I thought it was a neat feature, but nobody else did.)
Too bad you removed it! I would have upvoted it. I think input broadcasting is a useful feature for system management. Take Command being multi-tabbed should have it.

Yes, they were all local host ("local terminal"). Those were all views of different directories on my local C: drive.

The local shells have CMD, PowerShell, BASH (using Moba's built in Cygwin/busybox), and Ubuntu Bash (WSL). I haven't figured out how to tell it to call other specific shells (like TCC) yet, but I just started looking at it to do that; usually I use it to SSH to Linux boxes.
Thanks John, it looks very promising. The free version of mobaxterm includes this feature, so I started playing with it. Unfortunately, the application that I need to run in the terminal refuses to start and shows this error message, "character set not supported". Terminal preferences allow changing the character set, UTF-8 is the default in cygwin shell, so I changed it to Windows-1252, but it didn't help.
How do you change the local shell to start CMD instead of bash?
Edit: Found it: the shell type is a session setting.

Last edited:
So after some more testing, unfortunately mobaxterm is reported incompatible with one of the libraries of the application I need to run. Too bad, because mobaxterm looks very cool. Anyway, I discovered that ConEmu can do what I need. And I also found ways to do it with bare Windows consoles plus an autohotkey script.

Back